Telus Galaxy S2 (T989D) Ultimate Root and Optimization Guide with Steps

1. RUSS1110

RUSS1110 New Member

Will this rooting method work with Android 2.3.6? Because i recently updated my phone from T-Mobile's firmware update
  2. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

It will except the SU 3.0.5 zip won't work. I updated the thread with the 3.0.7 version which will :)
    RUSS1110 likes this.
  3. Thatonenoob

Thatonenoob New Member

How long should it take for odin to download on the phone. my phone has been sitting at the downloading screen for 30 minutes now
  4. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

What? It is almost instant.

When you booted into download mode. Did you follow the on screen instruction? It says if you want to continue press volume up. You have to do that first before launching odin.

Do you see the yellow com signal on odin before you press start?
  5. Thatonenoob

Thatonenoob New Member

The yellow com signal wont appear.
  6. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

That explains it. Did you install the samsung usb drivers? And just to be sure you did press the volume key to say yes to download mode before connecting?
  7. Thatonenoob

Thatonenoob New Member

I installed them but it says I need a disc or something. And yes I pressed the buttons.
  8. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

You probably are missing some parts of windows that are needed for the drivers. That is why it is not working. You will need these to allow the drivers to work.
  9. fideli

fideli New Member

@Blue1k: I was checking out other ROMs at XDA and I'm interested in Whitehawkx's Juggernaut ROM. Would that work on this Telus phone? I'm just migrating today from a T-Mobile Galaxy S 4G so I'm familiar with CWM and all, but curious about the minute differences between the Telus vs T-Mo SGSII. Thanks a lot for this guide for getting me up to speed.
  10. Dexanemus

Dexanemus New Member

I'm trying to root my Galaxy S II, using this guide. I get into the ClockworkMod Recovery menu but it can't mount /sdcard, anything I can do? I can't mount it manually, back up, or format. Also, when I try and move applications over, It says my phone doesn't have an SD card, I'm using a t989d from Telus, and it has the internal usb storage, how can I transfer applications and such over to it?
  11. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

You need an external SD card installed when rooting as per the guide. Your phone sees storage as follows:

SD Card: external card
    Internal SD Card: phone storage
    Dexanemus likes this.
  12. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

No physical difference between the devices. The only difference is when booting into download mode (see my front page).

The T-mobile version does have a newer modem available (don't use for Telus).

I've been using Juggernaut 3.7 for a few days now but I found that the GPS is not as quick or accurate as the Mr. X Telus rooted rom. I also found that after a few days, the device became buggy and laggy. Not too sure if it is the result of the faux clock or not.

I also found that the data speeds are always faster on the Telus based roms (not too sure why). The speeds on Juggs is very fast but I consistently get faster speeds on the Telus Mr. X rom (almost 20 megs down).
  13. Dexanemus

Dexanemus New Member

Alright, I got an external SD card, when I go to choose zip from internal SD card and select su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip it sayys

Mounting System...
    Deleting SYSTEM:bin/su
    Deleting SYSTEM:xbin/su
    Extracting files to SYSTEM
    Setting SYSTEM:bin/su permissions to 06755...
    Creating SYSTEM:xbin/su symbolic link...
    E:Error in /emmc/usbStorage/su-3.0.5-efgh-signed.zip
    (status 0)
    Installation Aborted
  14. Dexanemus

Dexanemus New Member

Oh! I tried again and it worked! Thanks for the guide mate. Cheers!
  15. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Excellent. :) You're welcome
  16. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. Heading to Seattle for a few days to get away after the holidays. Going to do some shopping and relaxation. If I don't respond to any questions it is because my wife hid/smashed/threw_in_ocean my phone :D
  17. LunchBB

LunchBB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the awesome post. I updated to the Tmo 2.3.6 and now be able to root again to get rid of the Tethering Manager. I do have a comment,

1. Don't save the .zip file to usbStorage. Just save it in root or so. It's because it takes many click on the Vol down button to scroll to that folder (as in alphabetical order). Also, my screen first won't show that folder name since it's listed at the bottom.

2. At Step 12, there is an Installation Aborted message. I repeated the steps 3 times to get successful. I remembered the same thing I see from another rooting method too.
  18. LunchBB

LunchBB Well-Known Member

Sent a small donation =)
  19. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll make changes to my guide.
  20. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Thanks. Much appreciated :)
  21. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Well-Known Member

Have a great trip!
  22. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Argg. Parking attendant raked my car against a cement pillar in our fancy hotel! Not happy... Now how to deal with their insurance in another country. At least they were good about it.
  23. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Well-Known Member

Grrrrrrrrrrr.... Man, I would hope their insurance would work no prob for you at home, that way you can get it done by someone who doesn't think you're going away and won't come back to complain about shoddy work..... good luck man.
  24. rappa

rappa Member

Can you still root without backing up if you don't have an external sd card?
  25. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Yup. You can restore back with Odin if anything goes wrong.