• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus Galaxy S2 (T989D) Ultimate Root and Optimization Guide with Steps

hey there, I recently flashed CWM and rooted my phone.. I have spent the past little while trying out different ROMs.
the only ROMs I can not get to work are the ones based on the Skyrocket ICS port.. they just give me bootloops..

my question is, has anyone with the Telus S2X tried these ROMs and gotten them to work? am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
hey there, I recently flashed CWM and rooted my phone.. I have spent the past little while trying out different ROMs.
the only ROMs I can not get to work are the ones based on the Skyrocket ICS port.. they just give me bootloops..

my question is, has anyone with the Telus S2X tried these ROMs and gotten them to work? am I doing something wrong?

OK OK... I figured out what was up.. I had to flash Darkside superwipe a couple times first before I flash a ported ICS ROM..

after I did that it worked fine, I tried a couple different ones.. however I am going back to juggernaut 5.0 until the oficial comes out because it is much speedier and more stable

Upvote 0
You rock Blue1k! Donation sent. I Got rooted last night (galaxy s2 tmo).

1. It was sort of hard but my first time so expected
2. My main reason was I wanted my hotspot back that t-mobile unceremoniously stripped from me after a year and a half.
3. I'd love to kill touchwiz - care to recommend the best way to do that? I assume I'll need a different launcher.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this amazing guide. Just bought SG2 X from Telus, and unlocked it for Mobilicity. (took 2 days to generate code) Thanks to your guide I flashed the Telus Mr.X rom. Instant Root! What a breeze.

Only issue is upon reboot, it takes a few minutes to locate the Mobilicity network. Your tip for the *#*#2263#*#* code helped speed it up, but still sluggish to locate every boot. Guessing it's a Mobi issue since thew modem is programmed for Telus. I've already disabled GSM in settings as well, and forced Mobilicity as default. Minor issue though.

Battery life has increased wonderfully after the new rom, and your tips on freezing the bloat worked like a charm!

Thanks a bunch, and keep this thread alive!

Upvote 0
Thanks for this amazing guide. Just bought SG2 X from Telus, and unlocked it for Mobilicity. (took 2 days to generate code) Thanks to your guide I flashed the Telus Mr.X rom. Instant Root! What a breeze.

Only issue is upon reboot, it takes a few minutes to locate the Mobilicity network. Your tip for the *#*#2263#*#* code helped speed it up, but still sluggish to locate every boot. Guessing it's a Mobi issue since thew modem is programmed for Telus. I've already disabled GSM in settings as well, and forced Mobilicity as default. Minor issue though.

Battery life has increased wonderfully after the new rom, and your tips on freezing the bloat worked like a charm!

Thanks a bunch, and keep this thread alive!

No worries :)

Ya it seems to be an issue with the Modem and moblicity.

I believe there is a patched telus modem to work better with wind/moblicity. I can see if I can find it. I remember seeing that on XDA somewhere.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have tried rooting my Telus Samsung s2 x several times and continue to have issues with errors. My phone is version 2.3.5 and I used super user app 3.0.5. What am I doing wrong. The errors is only on the last step of the install.

Another quick question..when I do this will I lose all the info (contacts, emails) on the phone?

Thanks,
Den

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have tried rooting my Telus Samsung s2 x several times and continue to have issues with errors. My phone is version 2.3.5 and I used super user app 3.0.5. What am I doing wrong. The errors is only on the last step of the install.

Another quick question..when I do this will I lose all the info (contacts, emails) on the phone?

Thanks,
Den

I figured it out. The super user zip file must be on the phone mem and not the ext sdcard. I put it on both and it worked fine. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
I rooted my Telus Galaxy S2 a couple of months ago. With help from this thread it worked perfectly thank you. My only reason for rooting was so I could run Titanium Pro and freeze some bloatware. I see now that Telus should be rolling out ICS for us in the next few weeks, my question is, do I need to change anything before the update, do I need to be un-rooting or resseting of the phone or whatever?
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I rooted my galaxy s2x using the data from this forum (Thank you!). However, I wish to turn back my s2x to original state (unroot) but for some reason I can't start my phone into download mode. Is there anyway to get into download mode or any other way to unroot my phone?

If you dont mind me asking why would you want to unroot. The only reason you should is for the ICS update from telus or to service the phone. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones