• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus Galaxy S2 (T989D) Ultimate Root and Optimization Guide with Steps

Just finished the ICS update while my phone was still rooted. Did it via Kies and all went well with no problems.From start to finish took about 15 minutes.From what I have tried so far all my apps are there and working correctly other than Titanium Pro that I guess I will have to hold off on until there is a new "How to root guide" unless anybody knows of one already.Thank you everyone here for all your advice and tips I genuinely appreciate it. I'm sure without all your tips I would own an expensive brick right now.:cheers:

Upvote 0
ok please let us know,and if it has glitches.i'd like mine rooted and take out that "app house" telus has preinstalled

Okay, so I tried again and instead of using the Superuser app linked in the original post, I used the Superuser link found here. It's version 3.032 instead of 3.03.

Did the whole nine yards, reflashed recovery.tar, installed SU, and viola!

Now I wait until CM9 is available...

Upvote 0
Brand new SGS2 X. Went right to ICS. Came here and followed directions. Right through to the install of the su zip while in CWM. Says it was successful. Rebooted. Superuser app is on phone and tried to use AdAway but says I do not have root. Went into SU app and under General it says Superuser v3.0.7(41) then Su binary v3.0.3 and tap to check for udpates. Did that and it says i have 3.0.3 and latest is 3.0.3.2. Clicked update and it failed to update.

Is there a reason why an app like adaway that needs root says I'm not rooted?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Brand new SGS2 X. Went right to ICS. Came here and followed directions. Right through to the install of the su zip while in CWM. Says it was successful. Rebooted. Superuser app is on phone and tried to use AdAway but says I do not have root. Went into SU app and under General it says Superuser v3.0.7(41) then Su binary v3.0.3 and tap to check for udpates. Did that and it says i have 3.0.3 and latest is 3.0.3.2. Clicked update and it failed to update.

Is there a reason why an app like adaway that needs root says I'm not rooted?

Thanks

I'm all new to rooting and stuff,but i rerooted using the 3.0.7 from this site Superuser and it worked it probably included the latest binary,or you can just download the binary by itself,I don't think you need to go from the beginning of the whole rooting process.,just boot to recovery and install the zip,again im new to rooting,i could be wrong,but thats all i needed to do when I had to install from 3.0.5 to 3.0.7

PS I had the same exact problem as you,so use the 3.0.7 su from the site i gave you,not the one from the thread

Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb/IceCreamSandwich (2.1 – 4.0.3)
md5: fc462fa0630379edbe10006b1d19d9b1
Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip | mirror | RM Web Connect
binary only
md5: 26d08a253f1883c13561d173094d70b9
su-bin-3.0.3.2-efghi-signed.zip | mirror | RM Web Connect

Reactions: Primus76
Upvote 0
I'm all new to rooting and stuff,but i rerooted using the 3.0.7 from this site Superuser and it worked it probably included the latest binary,or you can just download the binary by itself,I don't think you need to go from the beginning of the whole rooting process.,just boot to recovery and install the zip,again im new to rooting,i could be wrong,but thats all i needed to do when I had to install from 3.0.5 to 3.0.7

PS I had the same exact problem as you,so use the 3.0.7 su from the site i gave you,not the one from the thread

Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread/Honeycomb/IceCreamSandwich (2.1

Upvote 0
Something new and something fun. Can't reboot or power off, system just hangs. Anyone else have this issue. Mind you I'm on stock Telus ROM and have no intention of flashing to another (work phone). I saw some say it was a known issue with CWM and that TWRP seems to fix it but of course finding info on what to do, which one to use, etc that was as spot on as the ones I followed here is hard to find.

Just wondering if anyone else stayed stock ROM and is having the reboot/shutdown hang and need to pull battery.

Thx

EDIT: Alas, TWRP doesn't fix the problem either. The last thing I can try is a factory reset but I'm not game for that yet.

Upvote 0
will this guide work for a tmobile galaxy s2 i notice you document the differences but this is an easy guide to follow thanks
h12-1.jpg

Yes it will. Its what I used for mine.

Upvote 0
so, a while back i installed Beast Mod v4.x from on here... ever since when in kies it has told me my phone is t-mobile, even though it is telus. so now i cant get either update. and i reeealy want to update.. please help?

Check the bottom of this OP. You can get the stock Telus rom and Odin back to 100% stock then upgrade how you normally would.

Upvote 0
Check the bottom of this OP. You can get the stock Telus rom and Odin back to 100% stock then upgrade how you normally would.

I have done that. it goes back to 100% stock, but when i open Kies it says my device does not support upgrading via Kies, and my firmware version is Current firmware version : PDA:KJ3 / PHONE: KJ3 / CSC:KJ3 (TMB). but i am on telus, and its a telus phone, so i should not, cannot have, the (TMB). i need a way to get rid of that. ive flashed it twice back to stock, did a recovery of my stock phone, and installed Mr.X's rom and them flashed back to stock. still no luck. always the (TMB).

Upvote 0
Something new and something fun. Can't reboot or power off, system just hangs. Anyone else have this issue. Mind you I'm on stock Telus ROM and have no intention of flashing to another (work phone). I saw some say it was a known issue with CWM and that TWRP seems to fix it but of course finding info on what to do, which one to use, etc that was as spot on as the ones I followed here is hard to find.

Just wondering if anyone else stayed stock ROM and is having the reboot/shutdown hang and need to pull battery.

Thx

EDIT: Alas, TWRP doesn't fix the problem either. The last thing I can try is a factory reset but I'm not game for that yet.

Fixed it. For anyone wondering it seems to be a fairly common issue. If you do run into this, look for darkside cache wipe (not super wipe) and it will flash in CWM and properly fix permissions and allow reboot/shutdown.

Again, thanks for the great step by step. Really helped!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones