• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus Hero Reference's

I just finished rooting and flashing VillainROM 5.3, and so far it looks great. The only disadvantage I can see is the free memory shown in taskiller was normally around 80 mb, but now even after closing everything I can only get it up to around 50

I wouldn't be too worried about the free memory. Maybe it's a 2.1 thing, but the device seems a little snappier to me - maybe 2.1 does a better job of managing the memory that's free. Just a guess though!

Upvote 0
I agree, it's not necessary to keep 80MB free all the time. I use Autokiller, which tweaks android's own task killer to make it more/less aggressive, to keep 40MB free and have never had a problem since. It's a far better way to keep things running smoothly; you set it once and forget rather than constantly flicking to the task killer.

And it comes bundled with 5.3 as an added bonus :)

Upvote 0
Ok, so, I just flashed 5.3, and um... I must say, I'm actually not that thrilled, contrary to what everybody says...

The phone seems laggy during use, and I don't know if it's just me, but, if I put my phone on the table, and touch the screen, the touch responsiveness is dodgy, UNLESS get this, I touch any part of the phone with my other hand. :thinking::thinking:

Also, the weather widget doesn't have my town, but the Telus Rom did.. wth?? lol..

Am I missing some things here? Anybody else notice the touch responsiveness issue?

(edit) I restored the backup I made and the dodgy touch thing is still there.. weird maybe it always did that.. works fine if usb is plugged in or if skin touches any part of the phone.

Upvote 0
Ok, so, I just flashed 5.3, and um... I must say, I'm actually not that thrilled, contrary to what everybody says...

The phone seems laggy during use, and I don't know if it's just me, but, if I put my phone on the table, and touch the screen, the touch responsiveness is dodgy, UNLESS get this, I touch any part of the phone with my other hand. :thinking::thinking:

Also, the weather widget doesn't have my town, but the Telus Rom did.. wth?? lol..

Am I missing some things here? Anybody else notice the touch responsiveness issue?

(edit) I restored the backup I made and the dodgy touch thing is still there.. weird maybe it always did that.. works fine if usb is plugged in or if skin touches any part of the phone.

Not sure about the touch issue, but mine seemed a little laggy on first load, but a reboot seemed to correct that. Seems quick and responsive now. Did you do a full wipe before flashing?

As for the weather and your city, I'm not sure how that list works - maybe post on the feedback over at the Villain site and maybe something can be done for ya.

Upvote 0
That touch screen issue has been discussed here before, and it happens even on stock ROMs. I can't remember the specific reason, but it's just to do with the way the capacitive screen works and isn't a bug.

EDIT: Here's the original thread. The summary is that you ground the phone when in contact with it, and without that contact the screen isn't very responsive. (And no, the finger on the screen doesn't ground the phone).

Reactions: nomnompie
Upvote 0
Ah, thanks that makes sense.

I gotta say... I guess I like it, but it's kind of confusing. I can't find things I know were in 1.5, and I also thought the keyboard/phone was supposed to be better/have multitouch?

But the menus... they are completely different.. :eek:

Pretty sure that's the "rosie" and that he has the original that can be flashed though. Gotta read some more about it..

One thing I have to know though cause it's driving me mad and I cant find it, is where is the option for contacts that lets you hide contacts from SIM??

Upvote 0
You can't hide SIM contacts unfortunately. The ROM is based on a Sprint ROM and those phones don't have SIM cards, so no need for the option.

Edit: Yeah I don't know what the real 2.1 keyboard will bring; that's just a mod of the 1.5 keyboard. Have a poke around in the settings for it though, there's a lot you can customise now.

Upvote 0
i must say, i just rooted my phone to this ROM and its really so much better than 1.5. i just wish it came with multi-touch.

other than that, did anyone else have a problem with wireless tethering? when i click start, it leads me to SU Request and after a couple mins of loading, it tells me that its taking too long to load, and thus asking me to either force close or wait.

did anyone else have a problem with this?

Upvote 0
So i got a goldcard , did everything right , followed the procedure , but when i get to the part where u downgrade, it connects,it starts then it checks the model id, says its wrong and fails...any idea what im doing wrong?
I tried it on a diff pc because it doesnt want to sync properly in windows 7 , did i need to have the android SDK on the other pc as well just to downgrade?

Upvote 0
RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoD river.exe

That file...ive got the goldcard etc and im at the part where i need to downgrade.
So i start htc sync , it connects...but as soon i load this exe file it disconnects and will not reconnect until i cancel the .exe installation...if i just try to continue it cant find the phone. About 30 seconds after i click cancel itll be in sync mode again connect to my pc.

Yes, it is a Telus HTC hero and i have no clue what to do ...

I made a post on the XDA forum , hopefully someone had the same problem as me.

Upvote 0
RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoD river.exe

That file...ive got the goldcard etc and im at the part where i need to downgrade.
So i start htc sync , it connects...but as soon i load this exe file it disconnects and will not reconnect until i cancel the .exe installation...if i just try to continue it cant find the phone. About 30 seconds after i click cancel itll be in sync mode again connect to my pc.

Yes, it is a Telus HTC hero and i have no clue what to do ...

I made a post on the XDA forum , hopefully someone had the same problem as me.

Ah ok my bad! Do you have USB debugging turned on on your Hero?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones