• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus - htc desire 2.2

Nobody knows for sure if the Desire is going to get Gingerbread or not so I don't know how important future updates are going to be.
It'll get Gingerbread, Telus for sure won't release it and even if HTC doesn't release it for their devices the XDA community will. The Nexus One is speced for running Gingerbread and the Desire is much the same as the N1.

Upvote 0
There is light at the end of the tunnel fellow Desire owners... just not with Telus :D
Talk to Telus Milestone owners (Not the TelusMilestone forum user), they've been told they'd get 2.2 quite some time ago- they did get a 2.0.1 > 2.1 update back in spring or so but at the same time that's when 2.2 was getting rolled out for Droids and Milestones by Motorola and pretty soon the Milestone 2 will hit the streets here and 2.2 for the Milestone will be forgotten.

Upvote 0
Talk to Telus Milestone owners (Not the TelusMilestone forum user), they've been told they'd get 2.2 quite some time ago- they did get a 2.0.1 > 2.1 update back in spring or so but at the same time that's when 2.2 was getting rolled out for Droids and Milestones by Motorola and pretty soon the Milestone 2 will hit the streets here and 2.2 for the Milestone will be forgotten.

Indeed. I was one of those people who begged to get the Desire instead of the Milestone. Took way more groveling but I came out on top.

You have to remember Telus is notorious for slow updates. Here is the thing, without doing this your going to miss two things.

1. Gingerbread.

2. New HTC Sense.

I am willing to bet that both of them will be out for the Desire, at least the new HTC sense but you will never see it with Telus. They are so slow.

As a side note. After putting on the official RUU from HTC I notice a vast improvement in phone space. There are no more pre-installed crap and I have so much space.

But not everyone is comfortable with it. So we can only provide information. Put a case on your phone and becareful with it. If you ever do break it, get the Desire again or the new latest and greatest Android phone.

This thing was built for rooting and exploring. I was blind but now I can see.

Upvote 0
Yeah I believe you, what got me is that if I do install the official Telus release(whenever that will be), it's a done deal. I won't be able to install any other RUU roms even if I wanted to. Hence preventing me from getting further updates beyond 2.2.

Now the only thing that's got me a little confused is the "update all" button in android market version 1.82. Does it only show up if I have do to multiple updates for my apps?

Upvote 0

Gotta disagree there, they've known for many months that they will not see Froyo till 1st QTR 2011. Now why they gotta wait that long is totally inexcusable, but that info has been known since last summer...

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

Upvote 0
Indeed. I was one of those people who begged to get the Desire instead of the Milestone. Took way more groveling but I came out on top.

You have to remember Telus is notorious for slow updates. Here is the thing, without doing this your going to miss two things.

1. Gingerbread.

2. New HTC Sense.

I am willing to bet that both of them will be out for the Desire, at least the new HTC sense but you will never see it with Telus. They are so slow.

As a side note. After putting on the official RUU from HTC I notice a vast improvement in phone space. There are no more pre-installed crap and I have so much space.

But not everyone is comfortable with it. So we can only provide information. Put a case on your phone and becareful with it. If you ever do break it, get the Desire again or the new latest and greatest Android phone.

This thing was built for rooting and exploring. I was blind but now I can see.
Oh I know, Telus showed that with the Blackberry OS updates, took them forever to push 5.0 out and I think even certain phones weren't even flagged for the OS updates when they were available around crackberry. OS 5 was available for the older Pearl but not for Telus'.

Upvote 0
The facts are that no matter what anyone tells you about the release date it's speculation at this point. Unless you're the guy in charge of the roll out and youre willing to talk here, take what you hear with a grain of salt.

As far as the facts go, we can all agree the update is easy and it works. 2.2 does have improvements and we've gone over them at length. Anyone here can do the upgrade and they have all the info they need. Good luck with Telus if you stick with them, i wish they pushed it alot earlier and we'd all be enjoying now.

People you have the info and tools you need, and a place to ask for help if you need it. No one faults you for waiting for your provider to get you the release they promised you.

Upvote 0
There are so many more things that are likely to void your warranty than modifying the software. Inside the phones in several locations are little stickers that turn color if they get wet. They also turn color over time sometimes. Any impact damage regardless of functionality. Got a little scratch on your glass? well you dropped it and thats why it doesnt work.

If you've owned your Desire for 48 hours and everything works it's likely to continue working, although I bought mine outright and kinda choked a little when I did the upgrade knowing I know longer had any protection. The YAFFS2 file system Android uses is very efficient when you consider how NAND memory acts. Now I'm not sure what HTC's track record is for quality control but I did try and find threads about broken HTC's and such before I bought mine. I couldn't find much.

MOE3754 - I was talking about you when I said it was mentioned in this thread! After reading this I looked at the other thread and then a few more and took the plunge. I also DID HAVE SOMETHING GO WRONG with one of the 3 I flashed. I was able to recover easily with a battery removal.

When I was an early adopter of the original USA-only iPhone 2g (don't flame!) I had to constantly hack it to do any updates, or get any apps. I must have bricked about 3 of them (all could be recovered - one I had to wait a week for till someone came out with a new tool). It's only software and can usually (almost always?) be fixed if you just google it or ask for help.

Don't let fear stop you from doing this upgrade, you DONT NEED TO ROOT, its really like 3 steps and it does make a huge improvement. I really wish I did it earlier except theres alot of different routes and methods and I didnt really like any until I saw this one.

The Telus push is coming eventually, why bother? - Well when you do it you get a clean, unbranded (no extra apps you cant remove) 2.2. Apparently you also get future updates when HTC makes them available over the air, and you dont have to wait for Telus anymore (if you keep the gold card in). You also get the satisfaction of not having to rely on a company that doesn't seem to care too much about getting you the updates you want. You'll notice an immediate improvement.

Thanks again MOE3754!

Zak

Your welcome and I hope you enjoy your phone !!!!!:D

Upvote 0
So I have almost gathered enough courage to attempt this the RUU update. But from reading the goldcard instructions, I have a question..

how do I format it to Fat32? Can I place the unformatted card in my phone, then connect the phone to my laptop via USB, mount the disc and then format?

My laptop doesn't have a microSD slot...

Upvote 0
So I have almost gathered enough courage to attempt this the RUU update. But from reading the goldcard instructions, I have a question..

how do I format it to Fat32? Can I place the unformatted card in my phone, then connect the phone to my laptop via USB, mount the disc and then format?

My laptop doesn't have a microSD slot...

Yes, right click the "Removeable Drive" in your windows explorer and select format and make sure you select "Fat32" then click quick format. I should also note that it will erase all files on your SD card so make sure if you have stuff on there that you want to keep, back it up first before you format.

Upvote 0
I too was pretty scared about doing any of this to my phone, but the RUU flashing process is super easy! Also there are a ton of great people here that will help you with any troubles you have (if you have any). 2.2 pretty much resolved any issues I had with the phone in the first place.

Why wait for Telus? I had the hero with them and it just got 2.1, when they said it would be out in May. I am on Rogers, and wasn't sure if Edge data would be available in the Telus 2.2 update. Plus, there is a possibility of Sense 2.0 and maybe even Gingerbread, and if Telus is taking this long for updates, I highly doubt you will ever see those for you phone if you use the Telus 2.2.

Upvote 0
I too was wondering if it were possible to go back to the branded ROM once going the RUU route. Seems to be the best way if Telus' 2.2 prevents upgrading to Gingerbread or sense 2.0 (at least not for a looong time). but just incase they are able to, it would be nice to be able to go back to telus' 2.1 stock ROM.

Not that I know of yet, I was worried about this as well but again, I don't see any major benefits of the Telus 2.2 upgrade vs the generic HTC RUU rom update other than the obvious warranty factors. I still have Telus branding in the notification and lock screen. After 1.5 days into the HTC RUU 2.2 rom. I still have no regrets.

Upvote 0
People usually thave 1-2 gold cards in case they can't get OTA updates. I've done the same. I've got a 16GB Class 6 MicroSD and 8GB Class 4. I've made them both gold cards and used my 8GB backup GOLDCARD to do the RUU update. Once I was done I switched back to my 16GB card. I did because if I need to do an update with the 16GB card I can but if something should go wrong with it due to some kind of corruption I know for sure that the 8GB gold card will work cuz thats what I used to flash the RUU.

Upvote 0
Once you apply the RUU update it will automatically wipe your phones settings so you don't need to do another factory reset. They only Telus specific thing that you MIGHT need to do is reapply your APN settings below:

[FONT=&quot]NAME: TELUS SP
APN: sp.telus.com
PROXY: 74.49.0.18
PORT: 80
USER NAME: <NOT SET>
PASSWORD: <NOT SET>
SERVER: <NOT sET>
MMSC: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mmsc[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
MMS PROXY: 74.49.0.18
MMS PORT: 80
MMS PROTOCOL: WAP 2.0
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
AUTHENTICATION TYPE: NONE
APN TYPE: * [/FONT]

Upvote 0
Got an update for you guys. As repetitive as this thread is.

I went into a Telus store at Eaton Centre today. I was out shopping with the better half. I went up to the guy and said, when is the Telus 2.2 update? He goes as far as I know, December. So I said kind of late when the rest of the world has it. I listed off countries with the update and he seemed most surprised when I hit Australia. They hardly ever get anything first.

Anyway we were chatting and I was showing him the awesome features of 2.2. Especially the voice to text option. He said he didn't blame me and he said even if I installed the RUU. We were talking hypothetically at this point that he has never had a problem sending one back. He said HTC itself doesn't repair it. Rogers and Telus both have 3rd party repair for all of their phones.

He said they would send it out and it would get fixed. He told me to avoid dropping it and getting the stickers wet on the inside. I told him I would and he said if anything goes wrong just bring it in. It says Telus all over the phone so it's nearly impossible for those uneducated fools at Telus stores to find it. Now that was just me being mad. Not everyone at Telus is uneducated. Just some of them. Point being nobody is going to find it unless they look really hard. Just don't send it back before 2.2 is released. After that your good to good I feel.

I am still loving 2.2 and am in no fear of ever having warranty problems that can not be fixed. Best of luck guys!

Upvote 0
Thanks.

But since the goldcard instructions requires the download of the goldcard helper app from the market, I may need to do the factory reset first. Unless I can find the APK and install it that way..

Any ideas about the gold card strategy that people are using (3 posts up?

You don't need to download it from the market. Just download the goldcard tool from here.

GoldCard Tool v0.0.5 @ www.klutsh.com . Instructions to create card are included in the zipped file.

and follow the instructions from here http://androidforums.com/htc-desire...-update-windows-not-required.html#post1597378.

Doesn't even require windows, other than copying the IMG.zip to your SD card.

Upvote 0
Just another vote here for doing the upgrade yourself. The toughest part of the whole thing is creating the goldcard (and it isn't even that hard if you follow the directions carefully). After that, you just launch the ROM installer and it does the rest ... five minutes later you're running 2.2 :)

I haven't had a chance to explore all the new features yet, but I'm very impressed with the memory I have on my phone. After the upgrade there was over 105 MB free on the phone, and I'm still running about 80 MB free after installing all my apps again (and I didn't install to the SD card).

I was hoping that the automatic backup programs would put some of my setting back after the upgrade, but they didn't. Oh well. I'd suggest downloading a program called MyAppsList from the market before you upgrade; it's a handy way to record all the apps you have installed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones