• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Telus HTC Hero Root Guide.

Has this tutorial worked for you?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No *let us know why below, and we will try to help*

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have more questions about the process. *ask them below!*

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
DJ, Your root guide was incredible comprehensive. I was able to successfully root an unlocked Telus Hero (I'm running it on AT&T in the US). Just a couple points:

- in step 40, the instructions state: "To note. You will now have your MicroSD card. Plugged into a separate SD card adapter and plugged into your computer. Separate from your phone. Your phone should not be plugged into your phone." Should be: "Your phone should not be plugged into your PC."
- I was unable to downgrade using the 1.76 RUU. After several attempts, I tried the 2.73.405.5 RUU available on xda - worked like a charm. Could've been issues with my hardware, but I don't know. Using the 1.76 RUU, I continually received an error message when flashing that stated I was using the wrong ROM utility.

Either way, great guide - excellent work! Thanks so much! :)

Sweet. Good to know that this is working for people.

Thanks for tipping me on the mistake. I will fix that. please let me know if any one else finds any errors or this i should add/remove.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this guide, I've been using it to try update my girlfriend's phone from 64bit Windows 7. Here's a couple things you might like to add:

1) Make sure to use the older Windows Vista HTC drivers rather than the ones that come with HTC Sync 2.0.3 or the "Windows 7 compatible" 2.0.33 ones. Neither of them will let the RUU app detect the phone even if syncing works! This part caused me the most grief. Will write up more detail about how to switch the driver explicitly later.

2) Run the RUU file as administrator, or else it won't even load up.

3) I used the 2.73.405.5 RUU as mentioned by the above poster, but after figuring out the driver issue I don't see why the older RUU wouldn't work either.

Finally got through the downgrade portion, working on the actual rooting now, will keep posting updates.

let me know how it works. ill update the run as admin point. As i said. it took me hours to make that things and I made it while working on mine. So i may have missed something small. so thanks for pointing that out. let me know here or in the comments on the tut. and ill fix them.

Upvote 0
Last update until it gets fixed. They have said its a network translate error and are going to try and fix it on their end.

The only reason the home number worked is by fluke it was the only 10 digit number in my contacts list. All numbers now with 10 digit works fine. Numbers like *611, 611 dont work either.

Kurtis

I also have that problem. I didn't even notice that it was a "problem" until you said it.

I had noticed that it didnt work but though it had something to do with the way the phone was dialing it. does this mean that it will work eventually? will telus fix this? or is this a problem with the phone?

did you tell them that your phone was running a custom rom?

Upvote 0
djbasik, thanks again for this guide, helped me immensely. I'm an iPhone user, so I didn't have any Android rooting experience before trying this and I was still able to follow it.

Regarding drivers on Windows 7, I used the ones found here:
Workaround for HTC Hero Sync Problem in Windows 7 My Digital Life

Download the HTC_Driver_??.zip files, which ever one is the suitable one for your OS. Don't bother with HTC_Sync 2.0.33, it will only allow you to sync the phone, but RUU will not detect it.

Keep a device manager window open before opening the RUU file. This will let you ensure that under "ADB Devices" it says "My HTC". ONLY if it says "My HTC" will it work, none of the other drivers worked for me.

As the RUU reboots your phone, it will re-detect the device as a separate device, I'm guessing this is due to the bootloader reporting a different device ID than the fully booted phone. Check ADB Devices again, if it has changed to something other than "My HTC", right click and manually update the driver to the ones in the above link. You can do this while the RUU window is open. Do it quick tho so that the RUU window does not time out and give you an error.

Once the ADB Device changes to say "My HTC", your RUU update should continue as normal. Once that's done, it's pretty easy from there!

One more update, you don't need Astro if you install flashrec from the HTC Sync application installer. This could save people a couple steps.

I also tried this guide from a Mac, while the adb commands from the SDK were no problem, you unfortunately still need a Windows system to run the RUU files. You can do this through boot-camp, but USB passthrough from VirtualBox did not work. Have not tried any of the other VMs though.

Upvote 0
djbasik, thanks again for this guide, helped me immensely. I'm an iPhone user, so I didn't have any Android rooting experience before trying this and I was still able to follow it.

Regarding drivers on Windows 7, I used the ones found here:
Workaround for HTC Hero Sync Problem in Windows 7 My Digital Life

Download the HTC_Driver_??.zip files, which ever one is the suitable one for your OS. Don't bother with HTC_Sync 2.0.33, it will only allow you to sync the phone, but RUU will not detect it.

Keep a device manager window open before opening the RUU file. This will let you ensure that under "ADB Devices" it says "My HTC". ONLY if it says "My HTC" will it work, none of the other drivers worked for me.

As the RUU reboots your phone, it will re-detect the device as a separate device, I'm guessing this is due to the bootloader reporting a different device ID than the fully booted phone. Check ADB Devices again, if it has changed to something other than "My HTC", right click and manually update the driver to the ones in the above link. You can do this while the RUU window is open. Do it quick tho so that the RUU window does not time out and give you an error.

Once the ADB Device changes to say "My HTC", your RUU update should continue as normal. Once that's done, it's pretty easy from there!

One more update, you don't need Astro if you install flashrec from the HTC Sync application installer. This could save people a couple steps.

I also tried this guide from a Mac, while the adb commands from the SDK were no problem, you unfortunately still need a Windows system to run the RUU files. You can do this through boot-camp, but USB passthrough from VirtualBox did not work. Have not tried any of the other VMs though.

I suggest using astro file manager because using HTC sync in general can be a messy process. I had to do this with the first hero I rooted cause WiFi wouldn't work.

I did the whole process on a mac running VM ware fusion, running windows XP. worked great. Took some trial and error my first time but my second time I got it to work in about 45 mins full process.

thanks for the input. good to know this is helping people.

Upvote 0
I also have that problem. I didn't even notice that it was a "problem" until you said it.

I had noticed that it didnt work but though it had something to do with the way the phone was dialing it. does this mean that it will work eventually? will telus fix this? or is this a problem with the phone?

did you tell them that your phone was running a custom rom?

I have not spoken with Telus about the problem yet. lol and definitely will not tell them its on a custom rom.

If you could tell the phone to only dial a 10 digit number that would be the best "fix". The numbers in your contacts updates every time you dial or that number dials you, it only bases the number on the 7 digit base (i dialed 64-###-#### and it still linked it to a contact) however all of my incoming calls tacks on the 1, creating inconveniences having to manually remove the one or dial the number in its entirety (something that doesnt work so hot with the smart-dial)

I'll have to give telus a ring when i get a free hour or 2 to sit on hold.

Upvote 0
I have not spoken with Telus about the problem yet. lol and definitely will not tell them its on a custom rom.

If you could tell the phone to only dial a 10 digit number that would be the best "fix". The numbers in your contacts updates every time you dial or that number dials you, it only bases the number on the 7 digit base (i dialed 64-###-#### and it still linked it to a contact) however all of my incoming calls tacks on the 1, creating inconveniences having to manually remove the one or dial the number in its entirety (something that doesnt work so hot with the smart-dial)

I'll have to give telus a ring when i get a free hour or 2 to sit on hold.

Telus isn't actually bad with being on hold.

Upvote 0
I have tried XP and 7 Ultimate, DJ. I have had no success. I'm gonna re-do my gold card, however I did copy and paste from both Command and the hex page.

Edit: It disconnects HTC Sync as soon as I begin, then counts the phone as disconnected.

Thats the problem I had on windows 7. As soon as i used XP it worked perfectly. make sure your gold card is working. redo that process. and then use the RUU in the tutorial. make sure to run as admin...

Upvote 0
Hey guys.
I just installed a rom last night.
I used the Villian10.3 rom

I could not get any card readers to work, but using the phone as a card reader worked just fine.

My phone can curenttly not place calls on the network. I can recive calls, use the internet, and send and recive text mesages. The only exception to this seems to be my home number.

I get an error recording from telus, saying
"8UC2 call cannot be completed as dialed"

I'm on with tech support as I type but he has no clue. Anybody have an ideas as to what this would be from or how to solve it?

Could it be something to do with still having the gold card in? I will try and remove it once I'm off the phone with tech support.

Kurtis

I've recently loaded HeroSENSE 2.1 and have the same issue. I'm almost wondering if it has to do with the generic (world) radio programming. The only reason I say this is that 12 digit dialing also works if you put a + sign in front of the 1. If someone knows of a "North American" Radio update file that could be used, I think our problems could be solved. That is just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I've recently loaded HeroSENSE 2.1 and have the same issue. I'm almost wondering if it has to do with the generic (world) radio programming. The only reason I say this is that 12 digit dialing also works if you put a + sign in front of the 1. If someone knows of a "North American" Radio update file that could be used, I think our problems could be solved. That is just my 2 cents.

I contacted telus and had them log a ticket. it may be a switching problem with the network towers. this is way over my mobile network knowledge but I am supposed to hear from them in a few days reguarding the solution to the issue.

The tech suport also suggested I contact HTC @ 1-866-449-8358 as the phone may be, by default, adding the 1 by it self.

I will keep everyone posted to any solutions

Upvote 0
SOLUTION to the following problem!

Hey guys.
I just installed a rom last night.
I used the Villian10.3 rom

I could not get any card readers to work, but using the phone as a card reader worked just fine.

My phone can curenttly not place calls on the network. I can recive calls, use the internet, and send and recive text mesages. The only exception to this seems to be my home number.

I get an error recording from telus, saying
"8UC2 call cannot be completed as dialed"

I'm on with tech support as I type but he has no clue. Anybody have an ideas as to what this would be from or how to solve it?

Could it be something to do with still having the gold card in? I will try and remove it once I'm off the phone with tech support.

Kurtis

Hey guys. So while I was bored at work today I had a chance to do some research on this issue, and have apparently found a solution. As of about 30 mins ago and 3 phone calls later this is the solution.

****Download update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22-signed.zip**** and flash it like you would a normal ROM.
1.) Reboot the phone using home + Power
2.) Flash the previously downloaded file from the SD card
3.) Reboot 2x
4.) Phone should work fine without needing to reset or adjust settings

I guess the problem was exactly as I thought before with the North American vs. World radio files.

So far this is working perfectly for me, and I have yet to find any glitches, and I will post if/when I do. Otherwise enjoy, and I accept no responsibility if this does not work for you.

Upvote 0
SOLUTION to the following problem!

Hey guys. So while I was bored at work today I had a chance to do some research on this issue, and have apparently found a solution. As of about 30 mins ago and 3 phone calls later this is the solution.

****Download update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22-signed.zip**** and flash it like you would a normal ROM.
1.) Reboot the phone using home + Power
2.) Flash the previously downloaded file from the SD card
3.) Reboot 2x
4.) Phone should work fine without needing to reset or adjust settings

I guess the problem was exactly as I thought before with the North American vs. World radio files.

So far this is working perfectly for me, and I have yet to find any glitches, and I will post if/when I do. Otherwise enjoy, and I accept no responsibility if this does not work for you.

Can any one confirm this? Flashing radios can be very dangerous. I don't think i want to be a guinea pig for this one?

mfray. this radio link you gave is for a Telus HTC GSM radio?

Upvote 0
Is it from a TELUS ROM specifically no! the TELUS ROM is 63.18.55.06DAU_6.35.08.20! But it is a North American ROM! I did flash it on mine earlier tonight, and have yet to experience any issues whatsoever! and if you are at all curious about how well it's worked. I flashed at 3 pm my time! It is now 2 am, and I've used my phone a ton tonight. Everything works fine. In the event that it doesn't, just re-flash the ROMS's you had previously used in your guide, and everything will be returned to how it was! Trust me you won't be a guinea pig! I downloaded the ROM and flashed it while I was Mobile!
EVEN the *611 et al. numbers are working correctly. That seems like a successful flash to me!

Upvote 0
Is it from a TELUS ROM specifically no! the TELUS ROM is 63.18.55.06DAU_6.35.08.20! But it is a North American ROM! I did flash it on mine earlier tonight, and have yet to experience any issues whatsoever! and if you are at all curious about how well it's worked. I flashed at 3 pm my time! It is now 2 am, and I've used my phone a ton tonight. Everything works fine. In the event that it doesn't, just re-flash the ROMS's you had previously used in your guide, and everything will be returned to how it was! Trust me you won't be a guinea pig! I downloaded the ROM and flashed it while I was Mobile!
EVEN the *611 et al. numbers are working correctly. That seems like a successful flash to me!

OH OKAY! Its a ROM I thought is was a radio firmware for some reason. Is it a sense ROM?

is it a 2.1 port? whos rom is it?

Upvote 0
Well, I have tried two different downgrade RUU's and neither of them worked. I had failures each time with new gold cards. Anyone have any thoughts?
I am having similar problems. Using an old Windows XP box, I've tried the 2gb card that came with the phone, two 4 gig cards and now an 8 gig Kingston one (I've read in some threads that most people have success with Kingstons so I bought one).

I'm selecting the card from "Physical Disks" and I am able to re-mount and browse it after I revise it. But when I try to downgrade my OS using the RRU linked in the tutorial I get an error that it can't be done as it's older than my current version.

Trying 2.73.405.5 RUU right now, but I'm getting frustrated and I'd welcome any suggestions.

Update: 2.73.405.5 worked. Baking cookies to celebrate.

Upvote 0
I am having similar problems. Using an old Windows XP box, I've tried the 2gb card that came with the phone, two 4 gig cards and now an 8 gig Kingston one (I've read in some threads that most people have success with Kingstons so I bought one).

I'm selecting the card from "Physical Disks" and I am able to re-mount and browse it after I revise it. But when I try to downgrade my OS using the RRU linked in the tutorial I get an error that it can't be done as it's older than my current version.

Trying 2.73.405.5 RUU right now, but I'm getting frustrated and I'd welcome any suggestions.

Update: 2.73.405.5 worked. Baking cookies to celebrate.

Awesome to hear!!!

Can I have the link to the RUU that worked for you and ill add it to the tutorial as a back up for people who are having trouble.

Upvote 0
Ok so to clear up any confusion anyone may have.

I followed Basik's guide to the letter with the following substitutions

-I downgraded with RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe
(this file will cause the dialing issues that were explained earlier)

- I used SenseHERO-2.1-090610-B5-1 .zip as my custom ROM

AFTER the system was running and my data loaded in, I realized I was having the dialing issue with leading 1's I then loaded
*update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22-signed.zip* Radio ROM
(This file should not cause any loss of data, and will allow your phone to comply with North American Dialing protocols. )

I've included the EXACT file names I used. If you google them you will get hits.

Now I'm fighting trying to get a2sd working properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Ok so to clear up any confusion anyone may have.

I followed Basik's guide to the letter with the following substitutions

-I downgraded with RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe
(this file will cause the dialing issues that were explained earlier)

- I used SenseHERO-2.1-090610-B5-1 .zip as my custom ROM

AFTER the system was running and my data loaded in, I realized I was having the dialing issue with leading 1's I then loaded
*update-hero-radio-63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22-signed.zip* Radio ROM
(This file should not cause any loss of data, and will allow your phone to comply with North American Dialing protocols. )

I've included the EXACT file names I used. If you google them you will get hits.

Now I'm fighting trying to get a2sd working properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

awesome thanks for the clear up. I will add this to the tutorial once I test it.

Ass for A2SD I haven't tried it yet. Once you finish that give me a heads up and some info on you you did it. I will also add that to the tutorial.

Upvote 0
I keep getting Error 130: Model ID Error when running the RUU file. I've tried it on Win7 & XP, with 3 different MicroSD cards (Lexar, Sandisk, and Kingston), all with the same result, and have re-run the step for making the goldcard image as well. I've also tried 4 different versions numbers of the RUU file to no avail. Frustrating.

Telus Hero, purchased back in November.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones