Telus Launches the LG Shine Plus

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Telus out in Canada has just released their latest Android handset – their version of the LG Ally on Verizon. The device is called the LG Shine Plus and has the same specs we remember from the Ally: Android 2.1, a 3.2-inch WVGA touchscreen, 3G, Wi-Fi, GPS, a 5-megapixel camera, and a full QWERTY keyboard. It’s [...]

More...

Advertisement
  2. Vighnahara

Vighnahara Member

I just picked up this phone today, and I love it!

I had been looking at the HTC Desire but they're sold-out across Canada. Last night when I was checking if they were in stock yet, I noticed this LG ShinePlus on Telus' web page and immediately got all Googley Eyed. It's a gorgeous phone, slick and clean looking. Screen is plenty big enough for all your day-to-day browsing etc. And at 2/3 the price of the Desire, what's not to love? They're functionally identical (HTC has their own spin on Android OS, but nothing so startling to make me spend $150 extra) and I personally think the LG is more clean & cool looking. Plus it's a slider, which gives you the option of the keyboard OR the on-screen QWERTY.

I've always loved LG. I have an LG tv, LG headphones, and before I made the switch to Smartphones, I was very happy with my LG Keybo.

Playing around with my new phone, I was stoked to find out it has FM radio, too. I'm a big fan of the CBC, and I hate it when I'm listening to a great story in the car and then I park and miss the ending. Those days are over! Yes, of course I could carry an FM radio, but how many gadgets can one purse hold?

Another bonus is that it actually comes with really top-notch headphones. Not the usual big round uncomfortable ear buds that you get with most phones, but silicone in-ear buds with 3 sizes of covers. They double as a headset and the radio antenna. Speaking of headset, this phone also has voice dialing and it actually works. I was amused to discover that the voice on the Android is the same one that Blackberry switched to with their 5.0 update. I wonder who copied whom?

I was specifically looking for an Android phone because my whole life is pretty much on Google, from my calendar to my blog. So it just makes it that much easier for keeping everything synched. As soon as I logged in to Google on the phone, it instantly downloaded my contact list and saved me that usual hassle. It also displayed my calendar in all its multi-colour splendor, with none of that annoying third-party synchronizing stuff like I had to do with BB.

Haven't had the phone long enough to test its battery life, but with the smaller screen and the ability to use the slide-out keyboard, I'm thinking it should be pretty good. Mind you, with that FM radio, I'll probably still drain it every day. But that's pretty typical for smartphones.

3. Landrew

Landrew Active Member

I decided to get the Shine Plus instead of the HTC Desire. It has a slower processor than the Desire, but that's not such a bad thing considering the battery life I'm getting. The talk and standby times are good, but what really eats the battery are the apps, and there are plenty of them to play with. Being an Android phone which is open source, there are no shortage of new apps to try all the time.

The main reason I got the Shine Plus is the slider keyboard, which I need sometimes when the touch screen is either too hard to see in diffuse outdoors lighting, or hard to manipulate when your hands are busy elsewhere.

I'm still looking for a good case, because I don't like the odds of the phone surviving a fall on a hard floor; the metal body may be more rugged than plastic, but it doesn't absorb shocks as well. I got the clear plastic snap-on cover, which has already worn out and fallen off after a week, so I'm on my second one now.

I had already converted mostly over to Google for my email, calendar and contacts, so it was almost effortless to start using this phone and get everything all set up. I haven't seen any other phone so far that I wished I'd got instead. Give that a few more weeks though, and something better will come along and I'll be waiting for my three year contract with Telus to grind along....

4. marks.mcflips

marks.mcflips New Member

I have also heard about this.Quite interested news for LG lovers.One of my friends have that piece,and his review is quite positive.I also love the features like 3.2-inch WVGA display,android OS and so one.

5. tbisurvivor

tbisurvivor New Member

I just received my shineplus phone today and I am a little frustrated because I can't use the calendar. I have no data package on my plan because I am a little low on funds. Any idea on how I can use the calendar on the phone that doesen't require a google account or no data usage? If anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks for your time.