Telus Motorola Milestone Root!!!

Last Updated:

1. mohitrocks

mohitrocks Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First I just want to say, I do not condone this in any way. Whatever happens to your phone is not my responsibility. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. . REMEMBER IT IS ONLY A PARTIAL ROOT. YOU CANT OVERCLOCK OR DO ANYTHING TO THE KERNEL.

NOTE: These are the changes that have been noticed: Telus Milestone Rooted! Sort of... | Sigrid writes

DOWNLOAD LINKS:
    Motorola Driver: MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers

SA 2.01 Brazilian SBF file: https://rsddownload.motorola.com/dow...vice1FF.sbf.gz

then rsdlite 4.6 here: RSDLite4.6.7z

Update.zip-
    http://www.android-hilfe.de/data/milestone_root.zip

HOW TO DO IT:

First you have to download the brazilian 2.01 sbf

Next, you download the required drivers for your phone.

Then download RSD Lite ( I reccomend the newest version)

Open RSD Lite and put your phone into bootloader ( To do this hold the
    power, volume up key, and the camera button for about 5 seconds then let go.)

Plug the USB cable into your phone (while still in bootloader) and it should detect your phone. (If not take out your phone and put it back in)

Then click the 3 dots (I think. Whatever opens the file) and select your brazilian 2.01 sbf.

Click start and don't touch your phone. ( After the process is done, it may lag at the bootup screen. Just wait patiently)

After this process is over, your phone will think it is a Brazilian 2.01 Milestone!

Now you can easily apply the update.zip (See video below)

YouTube - Rooting Motorola Milestone

Thanks goes out to : jkkmobile for the video on rooting, Dagr8 from alldroid for links and charrion for starting the thread. ( Oh and also saiyolang for trying it out and risking his beloved milestone)

Advertisement
  2. merkman

merkman Active Member

So the two (maybe stupid) questions that immediately come to mind.

1) Cisco IPsec VPN is only possible with a rooted phone. With this "root", will I be able to run that app and connect to my corportate network if I so choose?

2) I don't mind the H icon, as long as I STILL connect to AT&T at 3G speeds. None of this will affect that, correct?

The only clear negative would be not getting the official 2.1 ROM until even later... since I don't think the Brazillan release is even scheduled yet. But since we can download the 2.1 wallpapers after the full process... guess we don't need it right away. ;)

3. gilbilly

gilbilly Active Member

according to other forums, once the telus update is released it will allow others to rip the sbf from it meaning we will be able to flash the telus 2.1 the same way we just flashed the Brazilian sbf 2.0.1

4. mcpdigital

mcpdigital New Member

Hi,
    I have the Brazilian Milestone running 2.01 and etc.
    There are big differences in performance between the 2.0 and 2.01 so I think is a good move. Not fancy, but functional.

Mine is rooted, live wallpapers, themed with Metamorph and optimized with new applications. Pretty good and stable.

5. actng

actng Member

so just by flashing with the brazilian sbf, my milestone is rooted??

6. cleary

cleary New Member

Thanks for the post -

I am located in regional Australia, and with the standard Telus firmware was unable to get access to the Telstra NextG UMTS 850 network - only got 2G access
    With this brazilian fw it works at full speed :)

Also, the link to the firmware is broken for me, the correct url:
    Code (Text):
    1. https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/SHLA_U2_02.01.0_USASHLSRETBRLA022.0R_USASHLSRETBRLAT_P026_A014_HWp2a_WIG135617_Service1FF.sbf.gz

7. ForBirdie22

ForBirdie22 Member

I've read this link:

[Release] Flash the rootable recovery only - root for "unrootable" fw (2.1, Telus etc.)

and it says it can "downgrade" the recovery to SHOLS_U2_01.14.0 which can be rooted.

My question is, has anyone tried this? and If so what root file do you use? Are there different milestone_update.zip files to root for different regions of the milestone or are they all the same?

I'd rather not change the whole firmware if possible.

My phone is the Milestone-Telus model as well.

8. iLiKePaNkAcKeS

iLiKePaNkAcKeS Active Member

I think im going to wait a little while longer until i try this.

9. ForBirdie22

ForBirdie22 Member

I've done the recovery changed so my firmware is still a Telus firmware just now it as the loophole to root the phone. Works fine and nothing has changed, just able to modify things like the boot screen and extra memory.

10. dangerousfob

dangerousfob New Member

11. crankinstein

crankinstein New Member

my installation keeps aborting....thoughts?

12. TwinDragons

TwinDragons Well-Known Member

@crankinstein: We need way more information... What are you trying to do? Please tell us your Baseband version and Build Number. Where does it abort? and if there is an error you should list it.