• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Temporary auto-complete disable?

reburns

Nov 10, 2009
When texting I enjoy the use of auto-complete using the glass keyboard. Except auto-complete wants to change short-hand "words" to real words of different meanings. My work-around is to open the physical keyboard and edit. Is there a way to disable predictive text for a single word? That way "GF" doesn't change to "Greg", for example.

Sometime I'll look into this auto-correct for the physical keyboard:
You want predictive text wth physical keyboard here is how you do it. You are welcome - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

When texting I enjoy the use of auto-complete using the glass keyboard. Except auto-complete wants to change short-hand "words" to real words of different meanings. My work-around is to open the physical keyboard and edit. Is there a way to disable predictive text for a single word? That way "GF" doesn't change to "Greg", for example.

Just add "GF" to the dictionary. When you type it, you'll probably see something like this in the predictive text area:

gf | Greg | ....

Greg is probably orange, because that's what it's going to replace with. But, your original word is always shown on the left. If you press on it, and hold, it will save it to the dictionary so that it will work for you in the future.

If you go into settings, there is also a place in there somewhere that you can add and remove words.

I had to do this for one of my son's names... worked like a charm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones