Tenzo's RCMix or xtrSENSE4.6

Last Updated:

1. ToastPwnz

ToastPwnz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

[ROM][GPL][10/4/2010] xtrROM4.6 [cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc,flash10] - xda-developers
    Now I will say this XtrRom is the best of the 2.1, now vanilla 2.0 is really nice but not for me. I use ADW launcher all the time and if you use a sense based rom and run any other launcher like Launcher pro or ADW then you can't use any sense programs. At least when I tried I couldn't find them on ADW. So that is why I say XtrRom 4.6 for a 2.1 rom, but if you like sense then by all means use XtrSense.

3. emer

emer Active Member

I was on xtr for a while, wanted to try out some others ROMS and it only took me 2 days to realize xtrROM is the best out there. It is so much cleaner, faster, better than the others I tried. So maybe you should try Tenzo's first, then switch to xtr because I think you'll end up sticking with xtr.

4. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

I used Tenzo's RCMix for a few days and here is what I got from it:

1. The Orange Home Theme is nice, but you cannot put your own widgets on the homescreen. It has all the main ones covered like text, mail, music player, etc. But you can't add something like pandora to the homescreen.

2. I found the twHome (I think that's what it was called) a bit annoying. I could not figure out for the life of me how to add apps to the launcher dock. All it came with on the dock was App Home and Messenger. Perhaps I missed something, but I swear I spent 10 minutes looking.

3. Straight out of a fresh flash, this rom seemed to run just a tad slower than xtrSense. I never bothered with SetCPU so I cannot comment on how it runs OC'd.

It's my understanding that zach.xtr has this rom in his hands and is doing a bit of playing with it (at least I believe that is what I read). If so, I would love to see what all he can bring to it.

5. ToastPwnz

I might try xtrSENSE then, because apparently it runs really fast not OC'd, and even faster OC'd. The not being able to add "custom" widgets to the orange theme is a bit of an annoyance as well.
    I'll stick with Nonsensikal for the moment, and choose in a few days.

6. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member

I've tried so many ROMs I'm not even willing to flash anything that zach didn't make anymore.

I'm a bit confused at the MASSIVE amount of development still going on for eris, though. I guess it is a pretty nice little device :)

7. n0ct3m

n0ct3m Well-Known Member

The little engine that could. :)

8. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

I ran Tenzo's and had a sh* load of FC's and it was just really buggy. I would like to try it again after he updates a couple more times.

Question about xtrSENSE: does it have some of the features Tenzo's has, like fro example friend stream,sense llive wallpapers, 2.2 market?

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I'd run xtrSENSE. I want my phone to be stable and work when I need it, and we know that xtrSENSE is extremely reliable. I have no problem spending a few hours trying out a beta ROM when I have time, but I'd always switch back to something I know I can rely on to work.

10. ToastPwnz

Probably gonna go for xtrSENSE. Hopefully it has the 2.2 market, I've gotten used to having to not restore my apps from backups.
    One question; is it possible to get the vanilla lock screen on a sense ROM? Ever since I went to froyo I prefer the vanilla lock screen over the HTC one any day.

11. tenzomonk

tenzomonk Member

"One question; is it possible to get the vanilla lock screen on a sense ROM? Ever since I went to froyo I prefer the vanilla lock screen over the HTC one any day."

in theory, yes! just removed the HtcLockScreen.apk :) however, i can't speak for "any" Sense ROM, as I would not know what the dev has done to it... but for the most part, below should work (as always, NAND before "playing" with your phone)

adb remount
    adb shell
    cd system/app
    rm HtcLockScreen.apk
    exit
    adb reboot

there you go :)

-----------------------------------------------------

if interested... RC1 was released today... with zach's "goodies" included :)

12. ToastPwnz

Isn't there an issue with adb and Mac OS X, or am I misinformed?

13. tenzomonk

tenzomonk Member

not that i was aware of.

"./adb remount" (without quotes) does what?

14. ToastPwnz

Nothing because I don't have the SDK installed right now. :p

15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Actually, the Mac is much easier than Windows with ADB. There is no pesky USB driver to install, etc. - just expand the .zip file, open Terminal, cd to the tools directory where you expanded the SDK zip file, and remember to type any adb commands as ./adb instead.

16. ToastPwnz

I'm having second thoughts now. >.<
    I like the HTC widgets, but I've gotten so used to Launcher Pro that I'm afraid I won't be able to get the kind of look I like on a sense ROM. I guess I can't really find out unless I try, but I keep over thinking this. >.<

17. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You can still install LP and make it your default launcher.

18. ToastPwnz

Yeah but then I lose the sense widgets, so what would even be the point of flashing a 2.1 ROM if I did that. >.>

19. stanlalee

stanlalee Well-Known Member

which widgets do you like? launcher pro plus (pay) has HTC clone widgets for people, bookmarks and messaging and the market has several flip clock/weather widgets ect that work just like sense but with endless weather and clock skin options. I thought I'd miss sense and endd up missing it for maybe a day or two before I forgot all about sense (it did require spending a few bucks in the market though for pay widget).

20. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

You get all of the HTC customized apps - people, browser, messaging, the dialer - as well as the ability to play any MMS message that anybody sends you, unlike the vanilla/AOSP/Cyanogen ROMs.

21. ToastPwnz

I already have LPP and Beautiful Widgets for my clock, but if I'm going to use a sense ROM I would prefer the sense widgets, unless I got really really annoyed with the dock.
    All doubts aside, I'm gonna try both xtrSense and Tenzo's RCMix and mess around on both until I figure out which one I like more.

22. joe3681

joe3681 Member

I know it's not an option but I'd never use anything but KaosFroyo (Currently runnin v37). Trust me, I've tried them ALL. KF v37 is smooth and fast OC'd at 710. I love saving apps to my memory card by default, etc. Like I said, never anything but KaosFroyo!!!

23. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

If you like the friend stream and the sense feel then maybe you should try a rom that people have forgotten about. Aloysius snow, it can be found over at xda. It is fast and very stable, you only have to do one thing to get sms and mms to work. Download on your current rom apn backup, create a backup, save that backup to your computer. When you install aloysius download apn, then erase the apn, install the apn from your computer that you made and then restore it. Aloysius snow is the only sense based rom I will run, love XtrRom 4.6, just not the sense version.
    Try it out you may really like it.