Terminology & Number Soup - Clarifications before I jump?

Last Updated:

1. Silentknyght

Silentknyght Member This Topic's Starter

...jump, as in jump into the deep end, not off a building.

Anyhow, I humble myself to admit to needing a bit of hand-holding. I'm tech savvy, but I'm having difficulty sorting out the terminology and the necessary procedures to jump into the deep end of customizing my Droid. I'll try to provide as much information, as well as my questions, in as clear and precise a manner as to avoid the very issues I'm having:

Phone purchased Feb. 22, 2010.
    Firmware 2.0.1, as installed by manufacturer.

My Steps did so far:

1. Purchased a couple cheap apps from the market.
    2. I used this tutorial ( Video Guides - Rooting, Nandroid backup, Unrooting, Cust ROM ) to enable root access on my phone.
    3. Used the tutorial (see link above) to install SirPsychoS recovery-0.99.1b. Made a backup. Updated recovery tool to 0.99.2b
    Ultimately, I want to my phone to look like the screenshots presented in the Dark Special Edition "theme" ( DarkDroid-SpecialEdition 10k/24k *New Poll* ).

So, my questions:

1. What is the difference between a theme and a ROM? Is "ROM" just another word for firmware? Or is there a subtle yet important difference?
    2. The Dark Special Edition link seems to suggest that this theme requires a 2.0.1 ROM. I already have 2.0.1 installed by the manufacturer. Is that the same? Will what I have work? Or do I need to install a custom ROM like Adamz's Smoked Glass 5.0.x ( [ROM.tgz] Smoked Glass v5.0.1 **BIG Update 02/27** )?
    3. What is the difference between Adamz's Smoked Glass 5.0.x (see above), which appears to be 2.0.1 firmware with some customization lifted from 2.1, and the "true" 2.1 ( The Simplest Guide to 2.1 (and Busybox and Nandroid) )?
    4. If the answer to question #3 is "I need a custom 2.0.1 ROM" and if Adamz's Smoked Glass 5.0.x will suffice, will the install of the Dark Special Edition theme overwrite the look & feel of Adamz' ROM?
    5. Suppose I install a custom 2.0.1 firmware or custom 2.1 firmware and the official 2.1 firmware is pushed out to the phones, assuming that the custom firmwares have the Over-the-Air (OTA) updates disabled. Would obtaining that official 2.1 firmware be as simple as using the nandroid backup I created back in my Step #3 and checking for updates in the phone's settings? Would there be any benefit in installing the official 2.1 firmware?
    If I'm totally off-base, feel free to set me straight. Of course, many thanks in advance.
    ~SK

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Answers are in bold. Also, this belongs in the root section, and I am moving it there.

3. Silentknyght

Silentknyght Member This Topic's Starter

Excellent. Thanks for moving this to the appropriate section.

Follow-up questions, of course :)

1. I've seen "ESE52" and "ERE25" discussed, without any comparison. Is there somewhere I should look or is there information I could read (hopefully consolidated somewhere) in order to get myself up to speed faster?
    2. What does it mean for a firmware to be odexed, versus deodexed?

4. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

ESE53 and ERE25 are just two leaked builds of 2.1 for Droid. They're both stable, but ESE53 does contain live wallpapers, and is supposedly a later build.

As for deodexing, that just removes the odex files that are associated with .apk files, and incorporates them back into the .apk.

Just makes modifying stuff easier, and supposedly gains a bit of performance.