• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TERRIBLE loudspeaker

steve500

Dec 29, 2009
I'm speaking as a formal HTC user, Had the HTC Eris for over 6 months, before that, the palm Pre.... and being around my mother with her HTC Hero (cdma) her phone ringing all day long it was impossible to ignore that thing, dang loud and clear.

My previous phones both had VERY loud and rich speakers on them (the speaker the ringer/music/sound affects come out of), even in some noisy environments it was impossible to miss a call when I had service, just the week that I've had the droid X, I've missed several calls either from not noticing the vibrator in looser pockets or its just too dang quiet.

Speaker placement is bad too, sitting the phone on a slighty soft surface like a chair can muffle the speaker to nearly impossible to hear 6 feet away.

I'm hoping the droid X doesnt have a hardware deficiency and that this can be fixed through software... My best buddy has the droid x also, his is just the same, very quiet vs my old Eris put side to side.

Shame...

I agree, this is probably my biggest complaint about this phone. It is really poor when using the device for navigation also. You cannot hear it above the road noise. I find that I have to hold it close to me to hear the directions. On the other hand, the earpiece has the best voice quality I have ever heard on a phone.

Upvote 0
I think it could be some phones need to be exchanged. My droid is louder than my X. I also downloaded a volume app called Volume Button Controller to try something.

Listening the the System volume on 100%, thats how my Droid speaker sounds. Listening to the alarm, ringtones is low. Some phones might have speaker, volume issues.

What would I hear that uses System volume thats alot louder than the ringtones, alarms volume? There has to be a way to make System volume be the volume for the external speaker.

Upvote 0
This is an email I received from VZW.

Dear Ryan,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. My name is Jared and I am sorry to hear that the volume is not sufficient for your needs. Currently, this is not a known issue, in other words not very many people have complained about it to us. Once this happens, priority is given and the information will be forwarded to Motorola and Google for a possible fix. I have documented your concerns and would encourage you to tells others with this issue to contact us as well.

Ryan, we appreciate you taking the time to contact us regarding the low volume levels on the Droid X, and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. We look forward to addressing your concerns and resolving your issues as quickly as possible.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Jared

Looks like we all need to write to VZW regarding the poor volume of the loudspeaker. Maybe then it will raise flags.

EMAIL GO GO GO GO!

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I've been listening to my music through speaker all night tonight. Sounds great. Reminds me when I was a kid with my little Michael Jackson radio lol.

Of course I'm coming from the Ipod touch and it's worthless speaker.

p.s. I would have preferred the speaker be on the front but for all this phones shortcomings there is so much more that makes it great!

Upvote 0
I've been listening to my music through speaker all night tonight. Sounds great. Reminds me when I was a kid with my little Michael Jackson radio lol.

Of course I'm coming from the Ipod touch and it's worthless speaker.

p.s. I would have preferred the speaker be on the front but for all this phones shortcomings there is so much more that makes it great!

Having the speaker on the front or back should make little to no difference.

The original droid's loudspeaker was on the back and was incredibly loud.

That is how loud I would like the speaker on the X.

PS Again guys if you are having a problem with the volume of the phone, then see my response from VZW above and email complaints to them. It will then get escalated and someone might start taking notice!

Upvote 0
Having the speaker on the front or back should make little to no difference.

The original droid's loudspeaker was on the back and was incredibly loud.

That is how loud I would like the speaker on the X.

PS Again guys if you are having a problem with the volume of the phone, then see my response from VZW above and email complaints to them. It will then get escalated and someone might start taking notice!
Where did you send your email from; did you use the customer support on the verizon wireless website?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones