TERRIBLE loudspeaker

Last Updated:

1. steve500

steve500 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm speaking as a formal HTC user, Had the HTC Eris for over 6 months, before that, the palm Pre.... and being around my mother with her HTC Hero (cdma) her phone ringing all day long it was impossible to ignore that thing, dang loud and clear.

My previous phones both had VERY loud and rich speakers on them (the speaker the ringer/music/sound affects come out of), even in some noisy environments it was impossible to miss a call when I had service, just the week that I've had the droid X, I've missed several calls either from not noticing the vibrator in looser pockets or its just too dang quiet.

Speaker placement is bad too, sitting the phone on a slighty soft surface like a chair can muffle the speaker to nearly impossible to hear 6 feet away.

I'm hoping the droid X doesnt have a hardware deficiency and that this can be fixed through software... My best buddy has the droid x also, his is just the same, very quiet vs my old Eris put side to side.

Shame...

Advertisement
  2. redgtconv

redgtconv Well-Known Member

I agree, this is probably my biggest complaint about this phone. It is really poor when using the device for navigation also. You cannot hear it above the road noise. I find that I have to hold it close to me to hear the directions. On the other hand, the earpiece has the best voice quality I have ever heard on a phone.

3. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

This is really strange to me. Maybe I received from a batch that was better than the initial ones. My loud speaker is plenty loud and very clear. I used the Droid 1 so that's what I'm comparing this to, and it's on par. Hopefully this is just a limited problem and not too widespread.

4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I think it could be some phones need to be exchanged. My droid is louder than my X. I also downloaded a volume app called Volume Button Controller to try something.

Listening the the System volume on 100%, thats how my Droid speaker sounds. Listening to the alarm, ringtones is low. Some phones might have speaker, volume issues.

What would I hear that uses System volume thats alot louder than the ringtones, alarms volume? There has to be a way to make System volume be the volume for the external speaker.

5. ooja3k

ooja3k Well-Known Member

This is an email I received from VZW.

Looks like we all need to write to VZW regarding the poor volume of the loudspeaker. Maybe then it will raise flags.

EMAIL GO GO GO GO!

jroc likes this.
  6. 5murphy7

5murphy7 Member

Seriously! I totally agree.

7. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I agree as well that while the ear piece is excellent, the other speaker is terrible. Ringtones I made on my iphone sound appalling on the Droid X. The volume could be louder but it's not a problem for me yet.

8. Uker

Uker Well-Known Member

Start an online petition or poll. Notify other forums. Send it to Verizon/Motorolla.

9. ocean1

ocean1 Well-Known Member

ITs hardly a loud speaker. VM on speaker is so quiet I have to pick up the phone and hold it up. The GPS cant use too quiet, the ring tones and alerts makes you miss calls. Can an app be made to fix this??? Post in Motorla and Verizon forums maybe we can get a fix

10. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

Just tested this with mine and my fiances, I honestly have a theory that it is an 'area/location' thing with these bad batches...

Because mine and her's sound amazing! Kinda too loud.

11. doctajay

doctajay Well-Known Member

I really do think that each Droid X is a little different because coming from the motorola droid, i really love the loudspeaker. Its quite clear to me. I guess to each his own.

12. matty032

matty032 Well-Known Member

Even turning on HAC doesn't help. Speakerphone is extremely low.

13. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

What i wana know is everyone saying its loud enough do you listen to pandora, or your music out the speaker?

14. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

try using the turn by turn voice navagation with the window down..

Its nearly useless, the audio is sooo quiet.

15. Kaoss

Kaoss Well-Known Member

I've been listening to my music through speaker all night tonight. Sounds great. Reminds me when I was a kid with my little Michael Jackson radio lol.

Of course I'm coming from the Ipod touch and it's worthless speaker.

p.s. I would have preferred the speaker be on the front but for all this phones shortcomings there is so much more that makes it great!

16. matty032

matty032 Well-Known Member

The alarms are so low, I barely wake up.

17. esn

esn Well-Known Member

I agree the speaker is a little lame but the location of the speaker doesn't help plus I would think that a future update will make it louder. If this is the only issue with the X I can live with it.

18. Uker

Uker Well-Known Member

I agree, the speaker's max volume is too low.

Yesterday I was driving in my car, Droid X on the seat next to me with the car radio at a moderate level.

I could not hear the ringing of an incoming phone call.

19. ooja3k

ooja3k Well-Known Member

Having the speaker on the front or back should make little to no difference.

The original droid's loudspeaker was on the back and was incredibly loud.

That is how loud I would like the speaker on the X.

PS Again guys if you are having a problem with the volume of the phone, then see my response from VZW above and email complaints to them. It will then get escalated and someone might start taking notice!

20. LessFilling

LessFilling Active Member

Where did you send your email from; did you use the customer support on the verizon wireless website?

21. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Everything is relative. If a device a person had before the X sounded the same or worse, the X may sound fine to them. On the other hand, the X speaker output is weaker than the Droid and the Incredible. Also, sound quality from the 3.5mm jack sounds the same as the Droid, but weaker than the Incredible.