Terrible service with 2.2, 2.15 radio

Last Updated:

1. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member

Anyone else have horrible service with this setup? I thought a new radio was supposed to give better service? Im running Skyraider 3.0 Vanilla, with a 2.15 radio and a 2.6.32 kernel..

Anyone know a fix or anything?!?

Advertisement
  2. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I know you will hate me for this but try *228 option 2 (I sound like a VZ tech)...I have had great signal strength with 2.2 and the 2.15 radio
  3. Berry2Droid

yea i did this lol
  4. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

Try a different ROM>?
  5. Berry2Droid

I semi noticed it on Skyraider 2.5.2, however, I didnt notice it running skyraider PRIOR to my radio upgrade. But it doesnt make any sense, doesnt the radio upgrade supposedly help signal strength?
  6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I have had better call quality but shit for 3g service since installing the 2.15 radio
  7. Berry2Droid

Yea idk maybe its in my head. I just have to keep resending texts because they fail, last night i dropped my first ever call in 2+years..Idk..Might go back to stock and get real ota, because the things I rooted for dont even work correctly anyway.
  8. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I'm in the mountains and getting great service. Same setup as Berry, weird. Haven't dropped a call since I have this phone.
  9. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

i have had no problems with either lol... but i do know signal bars are misleading if thats what yall are going by since mine are always low
  10. Berry2Droid

Im going by my girlfriend babbling and rambling, then all of a sudden she stopped, and im like uhhh helloooo? Thinking she caught me in a non paying attention state, I go "oh yea, thats weird babe", then i hear the beep beep beep, im like oh crap she asked me a question and wasnt paying attention. Call her back and im like sorry, shes like yea you hung up on me!

Phew..

Idk, ive tried everything from changing my SID code, to reformatting and reinstalling rom, everything..Cant figure it out.

On a side note, how do you format a sd card into FAT32 from the phone??
  11. ChiTownJim

Honestly I had a little voice quality issue when I had the stock radio once I updated to 2.05 everything was perfect . Then I installed 2.15 and while my call quality is supurb my Data service is pathetic. I pretty much have stopped doing anything but checking email and getting sports updates when not on WiFi luckly I don't really need data when I'm out away from WiFi as I'm usually doing something/someone more interesting then playing with my phone.
  12. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

You haven't tried changing girlfriends yet.:eek:
  13. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Interesting post Jim. Simply because it got me to thinking that my habits are pretty much the same. If I'm not on Wifi then I'm not ****ing with the phone other than perhaps weather. But... (I should probably think before writing) we just did a trip to Dubuque, about 1000 miles, and kept Radio Time on all the way. Had signal the whole time except when switching towers in big cities. Was on 2.15 too.
  14. ChiTownJim

I'm pretty aggervated, I'm thinking of just calling Asurion and filing a claim for a new phone . I haven't made a claim in over 2years and I've been paying them I think I'm due
  15. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

No doubt. It will cost you $90 but it might be worth it. You'll have both phones for a few days and you can compare. I would do it in a flash if I were having major issues.
  16. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

if its really that bad why not just use the patched 2.05 radio?
  17. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Yeah, lafester, that's an option too. Jim, you did say it was perfect on 2.05
  18. BaadAndy

BaadAndy Well-Known Member

I started having issues on the 2.05, so I went to the 2.15 hoping it would take care of the speed issues I was having. I get anything from over 2MB to 56k down on 3G and its killing me I was trying to use while in san Antonio. I thought it was the kernel I was using after the radio did not help, I was running the kings#3, switch to Hydra #4 and still had issues. I am running skyraider 3.0.
    I guess I will have to try another rom to see if it will cure it? I sure hate to since I really love the rom.
    Signal is normally good by the bars for what they are worth.
  19. ChiTownJim

I thought you couldn't revert back to 2.05 from 2.15

I'll definetly give that a shot first , before calling Asurion
  20. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's right I saw that too. Better do some research first on that. Saw previously that 2.05 was only a patch for 1.x and not a full radio as is 2.15.
  21. lafester

check the new radio thread in the roms section :)
    lots of new options including a 2.05 that is easy to install
  22. ChiTownJim

Yeah saw that , I just don't know if I can simply install a diffrent radio via Hboot with 2.15
  23. lafester

as long as you s-off you can.
    very easy. changed radios twice last night.
    ChiTownJim likes this.
  24. ChiTownJim

Very nice I"m gonna try the new 2.15 radio I saw on that tread

Which radio are you using?
  25. lafester

i am trying the 2.07 radio at the moment.
    tried the new 2.15 last night as well.

haven't noticed any signal difference here at home. will have to try some calls to see if there is any audio quality differences. have not done any speed tests yet either.

was mainly just making sure they worked and installed correctly.