1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Terrible Signal CoverageSupport

1. Sabresfan2630

Sabresfan2630 Well-Known Member

It seems I never get more than 2 of the 4 bars on my MT. I normally get 0-1/4 in my school 1/4 in my house, 2/4 outside and around town, sometimes 3/4 if im lucky. Never gotten 4/4 with Virgin Mobile. In the Coverage map you can see im in the dark green but you would think I would be in ail coverage

Is this Normal to not ever get full coverage even when Virgin Mobile says that in my aera It should be at its best. Anyone that can help or give advice on how to get better signal strength would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
  2. thangfish

thangfish Well-Known Member

Are you dropping calls?
    If not, just don't worry about how many bars you see.
    I usually have only 1-2 bars and have no issues with call quality.
  3. millenium

millenium Well-Known Member

VM = Sprint which means automatically spotty coverage..i get -61 dbm @ home and -110 @ work... averaging -90 around town
  4. Sabresfan2630

Sabresfan2630 Well-Known Member

No i am not dropping calls. Voice quailty sounds good. Only takes 5-7 to send a text through. In my house i range from -90 to -105. Is that good. Where should that number rang?
  5. thangfish

thangfish Well-Known Member

I feel lucky if I'm in the 2-digit numbers.
    Somewhere around 111-115 I usually loose 3g.
    I think -120dbm is pretty much loss of signal.

Bear in mind that the Triumph is known to show less bars than other phones with the same signal strength. I think this is more of a gauge calibration issue, than it is actual weaker reception. Just because of the lack of dropped calls at a given signal strength.
  6. anytyme

anytyme Well-Known Member

-60 is best. -120 is the worst.
  7. drewdawg87

drewdawg87 Active Member

Curious, anyone ever heard of taking the phone apart and upgrading the internal antenna somehow with a better one? I'm great with internals, but I wouldn't know where to begin or what antenna to buy, compatibility wise, or if its possible or not.
  8. ziggy46

ziggy46 Well-Known Member Developer

Try buying one of our phones brothers (in for parts condition so its cheap)
  9. ziggy46

ziggy46 Well-Known Member Developer

Also, I get like -87 average
  10. MediocreBadGuy

MediocreBadGuy Well-Known Member

average at home LOL

[​IMG]

if it wasn't for GrooveIP, i'd be throwing my Triumph out the window
  11. marc12868

marc12868 Well-Known Member Contributor

How do you have -124dbm???? That's worse than like no signal :eek:
  12. MediocreBadGuy

MediocreBadGuy Well-Known Member

I know! It's very sad :( lmao
  13. drewdawg87

drewdawg87 Active Member

Mine is usually around -110 :( The 3g speed is insane though... doesn't make sense that I miss some calls, they go straight to voice mail, but my 3g works great -_- I can't complain since I mainly text, but I am currently job hunting, so I might need my incoming calls lol.

As for parts... I can get a droid x, they seem to similar size wise, curious if that internal antenna would fit. I'm somewhat shocked no one got pissed enough to try changing the phones internals honestly.
  14. millenium

millenium Well-Known Member

I get -110 @ work with like 7Kb data, but @ home i get -52 to -70 and 50Kb to 1.2Mb data speed i rather have that reversed :confused:
  15. DenverNugs

DenverNugs Well-Known Member

I maintain about a -90 at home and around -70 at work. Could be worse at home. :)
  16. Wamphyr

Wamphyr New Member

I am on VM with a Motorola Triumph. At home, I get around -113dBm signal which is basically 0-1 bar if I'm lucky. Yesterday, I had two plumbers working in my house, and one of them went into my crawlspace under the home. The other, standing in my garage, called the plumber under my house. I asked how many bars he were getting in my garage, and he indicated he had 5 bar (full signal). I asked what carrier he was using, and he indicated Sprint (which is what VM uses for their network). I thought maybe it was my Motorola, but when I checked all the other phones (LG) we have in our household, they're all at 0-1 bars. Something is off with how VM uses Sprint's network.
  17. rcsrich

rcsrich Well-Known Member

I would regularly have no bars showing and perfectly good voice/text reception & data with my MT. Signal seemed to be in the range of 90-100 majority of the time. Another weird fluke of the MT. I'll also say that my GS3 on T-Mo can drop to no bars and I'll still have data & get calls, I just see that situation a lot less frequently. Sitting at 3 bars right now, phone info showing 93 dBm. I just think the signal strength meter on the MT is not properly calibrated to the actual phone signal and is not to be trusted.