Test 4G Radio

Last Updated:

1. BasouKazuma

BasouKazuma Member This Topic's Starter

I had the following ROM installed on my rooted HTC EVO while I was in Salt Lake City the other day.
    HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.26.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

I looked at the 4G coverage map and saw that 4G was available there and I was well within the coverage area (Salt Lake City International Airport). However, I couldn't connect to the 4G network after enabling 4G. I'm pretty sure I had installed the radio updates as listed in the above post but that was months ago so I'm not positive.

Now I have installed the following ROM update over the previous one and installed the latest radio updates.
    [ROM]RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.30.651.2_Radio_2.15. 00.09.01_NV_1.77_003_release - xda-developers

So I'm going to try again when I go back to Salt Lake City but would like to know if there is any way to test if the radio is working properly without being in a 4G area.

Advertisement
  2. Painkillaz

Painkillaz Well-Known Member

i would think if you are just flashing stock rooted ROMs it should work regardless

3. goodboy

goodboy Well-Known Member

I had this problem. On the dialer, dial in ##33294# . You'll be presented with a menu, Field Trial; You'll want to select WiMax Engineering. Press menu and select sampling rate to 1s (just to see whats happening faster). Assuming you have 4G enabled, you'll see the first label, State, go from "Not Ready" to something along the lines of searching or ranging. While this is happening, scroll down to Rx Pwr. It should list a negative decibel rating if you're able to connect.

I was having this problem before and was unable to resolve it. I was within 4G coverage but my Evo kept cycling through the scanning. I eventually had to have my phone changed because of this.

After the fact, I found this and this. Give those links a read and see how it goes.

From what I gather, the RSA keys come pre-written into a phone(like a MAC address) and ClockWorld doesn't back these up, or so the poster says(and I may be able to back that up).

For the record, I plan on using Amon_RA when HBOOT 2.2 is easily rooted.

BasouKazuma likes this.
  4. BasouKazuma

Damn, I'm guessing my key is lost since I have tried a few ROMs on this phone but I'll try those tests to be sure.

5. goodboy

If you have an older backup that had 4G working try flashing that.

6. BasouKazuma

I did make sure to backup each time so I'll try that out though I was never in a 4G area til the other day so I can't be sure if it ever worked.

Also, I needed to type ##33284# to enter the Field Trial menu. So I think you typed the wrong number in your post up there.

7. goodboy

LOL, whoops, slip of a key. Good catch.

8. BasouKazuma

Had a change of plans so I didn't have a flight through Salt Lake City but I did run the terminal command from the 2nd link and my results matched the one in the post which should mean that my RSA keys are still fine. I may be able to field test it in a 4G area near the end of the month. Hopefully it was just some software problem that I can fix, if I didn't already fix it.

Update: I'm in San Francisco which now has 4G data up and running but I still can't connect to it. When I turn on the 4G radio and go to the Field Trial - Wimax Engineering menu State goes from Not Ready to Searching and Rx Pwr goes from Not Ready to N/A dBm.

Also, sometimes the phone starts running very slowly when the 4G radio is on.

9. BasouKazuma

I just realized that the updates (from the link below) kept failing while I was using ClockworkMod Recovery (old and new versions).
    [ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

When I tried to update to "EVO_Radio_2.15.00.11.19.zip", I got the following:
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Installing update...
    Installation aborted.

When I tried the combo pack and any of the other individual files listed, it caused the recovery to reload before I can even read what it said. I ran Unrevoked Forever to make sure I had the S-OFF flag set but I still got the same problem.

So I used the latest version of Amon_RA's recovery and was able to flash the updates without any problems (including the latest Wimax radio) which caused 4G to work!

Though now I have to deal with a 100% CPU usage problem that popped up after I got 4G working which happens even after turning 4G off and rebooting. Going to backup, try a clean install and individually reinstall my apps.

Update: Clean install seems to have resolved the 100% CPU usage problem. So everything's working fine now.