• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Test notifications" causes immediate reboot

jcfolk

Lurker
Nov 12, 2009
Droid's been a little laggy lately, so I was trying to isolate the cause. Essentially locked up the phone while messing around with it, so I uninstalled PandaHome, Toggle Settings, Handcent SMS, and K9 mail....those were the culprits that I suspected.

Ran it clean for a day, then reinstalled K9 mail. No problems.

Added Toggle Settings. Seemed fine.

Then I reinstalled Handcent SMS to test it out. In the settings you can send yourself a "Test Notification". When I did this, the phone immediately shut off and rebooted. I said, "A-ha...there's the problem!"

Restarted in safe mode, uninstalled Handcent SMS.

So, I figured I'd try an alternative. I downloaded ChompSMS. When I sent myself a "Test Notification" from the ChompSMS settings.....the exact same thing happened. Phone immediately shut off and rebooted itself.

I'm trying to think what could cause this. Either the two programs have the same thing that's causing a crash, or I have something else on my phone that doesn't like these test notifications. I'm still running K9 mail and Toggle Settings but stock home....nothing else really unusual that I can think of.

Any ideas out there?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones