Tested and Proven gps fix for Samsung CaptivateTips

1. Flavio60

Flavio60 Member

If you're one of the lucky folks who has a Samsung Galaxy (also known as the Vibrant or Captivate, depending on your carrier), you may have noticed a problem with GPS either taking a long time to resolve your position (or not at all), or your location being "way off." Lucky for your, the uber-geeks over at XDA-Developers cooked up a way to quickly and easily fix the problem!

This fix won't require any flashing of files, unlocking of bootloaders, or anything that could void your warranty, and reportedly Samsung is aware of the issue and is working on an "official" fix that shouldn't have any problems with this work-around.

To apply the work-around, follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Settings > Location & Security and uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks".

2. Go to the phone's dialer and enter the number *#*#1472365#*#* then press send to access the phones LBSTestMode menu.

3. In the LBSTestMode menu, press

Advertisement
    :
  2. tysj

tysj Well-Known Member

This finds my location (like many of the other "fixes"), but I can never get an actual GPS fix and the GPS icon in the notification tray keeps flashing.
  3. Flavio60

Flavio60 Member

did u do an actual reboot with holding down both of the volume buttons and the power button when turning the phone on?
  4. tysj

tysj Well-Known Member

I used the Switch Pro widget to do a reboot. Is that process any different?
  5. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

It locks on and gets the right directions, but my location is off by a half mile. Is that normal/okay even with this fix?
  6. Sledutah

Sledutah Well-Known Member

Mine locks in now also, but I'm about 1/2 mile east of where it thinks I am. :confused:
  7. Fuzzydunloptx

Fuzzydunloptx New Member

This fix got it to find my location quickly as opposed to not at all but as others have said the accuracy seems to be way off.
  8. meadrealty

meadrealty Member

This worked great for me
    AT&T claim to have no knowledge of problem
    Thanks FLAVIO60
  9. JimmyJunk

JimmyJunk New Member

In addition to the steps listed by the OP, you should set use skyhook to on in application settings.

I have dont this and my GPS is amazing. It locks in within seconds and I get 5 meters accuracy.
  10. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

A link to these exact directions was posted at the end of page 1 of the GPS sticky. Responses to this method are all over page 2. It didn't help most people (including me) - so I'm not sure it's really "tested and proven."
  11. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

Didnt work for me.
  12. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

This doesn't work
  13. lilo

lilo Well-Known Member

I am not sure that flashing GPS icon means that there is no GPS lock. I thought that the icon is flashing to indicate that GPS is in use.
  14. Sledutah

Sledutah Well-Known Member

Just a FYI for those that are not getting this to help at all. Mine helped lock on, but the accuracy is still off.

Anyways, I had to go through this a few time to get it to work. After a reboot, I would go back into the settings and find that they didn't get saved. I re-entered the settings 3 times before they saved.
  15. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Sorrry I got it.
  16. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

And flavio you forgot, before you play with these setting make sure you go to Setting>Location>and TURN OFF Wireless Network for GPS. For those who say it doesnt work, try that
  17. njd911

njd911 New Member

Whenever I try to turn off the wireless network for GPS, it shows that it is unchecked. But when I exit the settings then go back, the wireless network for GPS box is checked. What am I doing wrong?
  18. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Hm I didn't notice that but what I did was-

Turn off Wifi
    change the settings (as I stated above)
    Then follow the guide
    Reboot the Phone
    Then turn it back on and turn on WiFi and enable Network. That should work
  19. njd911

njd911 New Member

Still can't turn off the setting. I'm getting really frustrated
  20. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

I've followed this and had very little improvement. When initially setting the location (for example, in navigation) it almost always has the wrong location. It will be in the vicinity but a few streets over.

So I don't think the qualifies as "proven." In fact, I'd wager that this is a firmware issue (probably a rounding error, poor garbage collection, or a data overflow) that won't be fixed until Samsung figures out where it is and fixes the drivers.
  21. ruppert

ruppert Active Member

I don't think this should be considered tested and proven. It does seem to improve the lock on speed for some. It did for me. The accuracy however is still and issue. Here are some gps tracks I recorded with the iPhone 3G and the Captivate with this "fix" applied. You can see that the accuracy of the Captivate is really quite bad. The problem seems to be that the captivate won't lock on to more than about 5 satellites at a time, and for that we need a firmware update from samsung.
  22. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

I couldnt even get a lock with factory settings in my house. All I did was set skyhook to on then rebooted and locks in about 15 seconds or less on google maps and under 10 seconds on maps.
  23. Jreitnauer7

Jreitnauer7 Well-Known Member

24. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

I can use GPS Status and the phone will show 5-11 sats in view, but will not lock to any unless you give it about 5-10 mins. I like to use the phone for RunKeeper so I have to set it outside so it can get a GPS signal before I go out just so it can track me and it still manages to lose the track along the route. For whatever reason sometimes I'll pull it out and go to Maps and bamm it just has the correct location right away.
  25. dantheman2

dantheman2 Well-Known Member

In general, GPS usually does not work in a house or other enclosed place. You have to have line of sight to get accurate GPS results.

The thing I noticed is that the Captivate is not a highly sensitive GPS. I have been using mine to find geocaches and such and as we are locating caches, the accuracy will show you that you are accurate within 5 meters or less which isn't too bad. Then, you go under some tree cover and it will drop to 98 meters (not too good) then it may drop to 1+ km off. I think this is the big issue with the gps. It's probably not software, but hardware.

D