• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Testing 4g in my area?

I live at least 20 minutes from the nearest 4g. My 3g signal at home is about 3 bars max. Last week I noticed 4g on my phone for about 30 seconds. Do they flip it on and off to test it before they turn it on?

The area 20 mins from me was activated about 6 weeks ago so I'm thinking we should be close to getting it here.
Oddly enough the area that got it, Lebanon, PA, is much smaller than where I live in Lancaster.

If you are talking about Verizon Wireless, I know in my area they do not test it. One night they will turn it on. All the testing is done long before it gets to your area. And if they were testing, they would need a lot more than 30 seconds. What you saw might have been a quick mess up by your phone, or your phone found some signal from far away.

As far as the market you are in. Verizon tested and turned up West Virginia first... Not New York, Not San Francisco, West Virginia...

Cheers

Upvote 0
In Indy it came on and off for a couple of weeks before the official roll-out in the city. It was up for longer than 30 seconds, though, and I could connect and speed test, verifying it was real.

Interesting. I noticed it for 30 secs or so but it could've been up for longer.
I was busy with something else in my office and not really paying attention to my phone.
Haven't seen it since though. I don't know if any other carriers have 4g here.
Maybe I grabbed one of their signals for a moment.

Upvote 0
I do not have 4G yet where i live, but i frequently travel to where there is. I noticed this weekend that 4G in Reno is sloooooooww. My 3G speeds are sometimes quicker at home. I have checked all possible settings, and don't think it's the phone. How can it be so slow? I hear all the time how fast 4G is, but i have not seen it.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I noticed it for 30 secs or so but it could've been up for longer.
I was busy with something else in my office and not really paying attention to my phone.
Haven't seen it since though. I don't know if any other carriers have 4g here.
Maybe I grabbed one of their signals for a moment.

I didn't think the Verizon phones roamed on 4G? I know in the settings there was no roaming option to turn off like there is for 3G. Roaming is one of the first things I turn off when I get a new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones