Testing Video and Audio in the Store?

Last Updated:

1. persim

persim Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been considering getting my first smartphone[​IMG] and would like to test the video and audio playback of the X, Fascinate and Incredible in the store. One of the main purposes I plan to use it for (other than it actually being a phone) is watching recorded tv shows on the train going to work. I am leaning towards the X because of screen size and reception quality but have read that the audio quality appears to be much better on the Fascinate

I currently have a microSD card[​IMG] but since I have never owned an Android device, I am not sure of the formatting or files/folder structure.

1. What is the format type and does is have to be formatted from a phone only or can it be done by a windows machine?

2. Is there a standard folder structure for all the android devices I'm interested in? Would placing the test video file in something like **\**\Videos or a .mp3 file in **\**\Audio work on all the phones or does each company have their own folder structure?

3. Would the store even allow me to bring in my own card and test this out?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
  2. Rockmystery

Rockmystery Member

I have the X, but I'm assuming this would apply to at least all of the Droids.

1. What is the format type and does is have to be formatted from a phone only or can it be done by a windows machine? I am able to access it from my computer through the phone OR through a microSD reader attached to my computer. I believe you can format it through either, though I'm not 100% on that.

2. Is there a standard folder structure for all the android devices I'm interested in? Would placing the test video file in something like **\**\Videos or a .mp3 file in **\**\Audio work on all the phones or does each company have their own folder structure? Again, I'm not sure. For my X, I just created a folder called VIDEOS in the root file. Worked fine. In my phone, I navigated to my apps screen, clicked on 'files', 'phone files', and voila!

3. Would the store even allow me to bring in my own card and test this out? I guess it would depend on the person assisting you. The guy that helped me was super cool, and I'm sure he would not have minded.
    You could navigate to youtube (or the like) from a phone in the store and get a general idea of the video quality. Just to get a comparison.

3. persim

persim Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info. I did a little more searching and found that most Android phones are stuck with Fat32 (appears some customs roms can handle others) and my file size limit is 4GB.

4. Rockmystery

Rockmystery Member

Ohhh, good to know!

5. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

For what you are looking for, the Fascinate may be the better choice. I'd dismiss the incredible, not because it's a bad phone, just because someone whose looking to watch movies would need a bigger screen.

Overall, the Droid X is a better phone/web/media device, but there are some things the Fascinate will do better.

Fascinate has a SuperAMOLED screen, 4" diag compared to 4.3" LCD on the Droid X. You can't beat the contrast of the Samsung's display, albeit at the cost of a bluish tint and the pentile matrix, which renders videos fine, but causes text to look fuzzy.

Fascinate has a bettter graphics process for games. They basically use a very similar SoC with nearly identical processor, but the Hummingbird uses the PowerVR 540 vs the PowerVR530 in the Motorola's OMAP. That means some HD movies and games could play back better.

Also (and someone here may have to chime in) I remember reading something along the lines that the Samsung Galaxy phones run some video formats natively, which means you don't need to convert them into a compatible format. Also, the Droid X's SD card is located under the battery, which means a battery pull everytime you want to swap cards. I don't consider that to be a big deal, since I'd sync my phone to computer and do all the transfers that way, but then again you may find that an annoyance.

However, those things that the Samsung does do better comes with a price. Battery life is approximately half that of the Droid X during web usage, and that faster processor also consumes a lot more battery power. Under video playback, battery life is abismal compared to the X. The SuperAMOLED screen is better than AMOLED screens in the sunlight, but not as good as the LCD on the Droid X.

Plus you give up some items such as better reception and call clarity, an actual working GPS, and metal case that's built like a tank. In return you get a cheaper plasticy feel, TouchWiz UI (yuck), and Samsungs perpetually bad support. There are plenty of issues in the stock software build if you take a look over at the Fascinate forum (in fairness, there are quite a few complaints here, but most seem to have a resolution date aka OTA Froyo). Having heard both devices, audio playback seems like a push to me.

The Galaxy S class of phones are the fastest graphics phones out there, no doubt about that. But as an overall package, the Droid X is more complete.

So it's up to you as which features are more important to you. I personally think the Fascinate and its cousins are one trick ponys. But only you can decide which features are most important to you. Some people want a small phone and go Incredible. Some demand a keyboard and get a Droid 2 or Epic. The real winner in this is the consumer, since android has enabled a common platform that not only allows choice of hardware, but all provide a superior experience against the fruity competition.