Tether a Nexus One without Root?

Last Updated:

1. rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk Member This Topic's Starter

I'm getting myself an AT&T Nexus One within the end of the month and I wanted to know if there was a way to tether with a Nexus One without rooting it. Everything I've seen so far requires a root. If I have to root it, is the process pretty safe? This is my first GOOD phone, I have had a pathetic Nokia 6555 for 3 years, but the 6555 can tether at least. Speed is horrible, but it somewhat works. I just want to make sure I can do this with my new N1.

Advertisement
  2. inspiron41

inspiron41 Well-Known Member

pdaNET. There's certain restrictions for the free version (eg. blocks restricted sites). but you can tether via bluetooth or usb. I tried bluetooth with my notebook, it works. but not really fast. i havent tested by usb.

also, they havent released the paid version.

3. MadFlava

MadFlava Active Member

Sure they have. I bought it a few weeks ago.

4. rfkrocktk

So no free apps? :(

5. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

There are free aps if you root :)

6. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Issue I have found with the market apps is that I use Linux on my work laptop and Windows 7 on my home machine and other than the capabilities that come with the device when you root, it's going to be a crap shoot to find a good one. :(

7. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

By all means look for something you love.. I just used the apps built into the modaco roms.

8. rfkrocktk

Alright, well, I think I'm gonna root it. I'm a Linux user as well, so I might as well :p Does anyone have a good walkthrough on how to root it? Anyone experience any problems with it?

9. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Hit the root section, walk-throughs are all there.

10. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Btw, speaking as someone who had pda net first and then rooted... pdanet sucks.

11. rfkrocktk

Could you link me somewhere? There seems to be a lot of root stuff out there, I don't know where to start. Basically, I'd like to use Cyanogen's ROM, but does it have sense? I'd like just the stock N1 Android but with tethering, AppsToSD, bugfixes etc. Nexus One was just delivered and I'm freaking out!!!!!!! :D

12. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

If your confused, you just haven't done enough research. Keep digging, start at the unlockr.com

13. ragingyeti

ragingyeti Well-Known Member

Google superboot. I think it is from unlockr.com. Real easy process and worked great. Even has a video showing you the process. Then get barnacle tether off the market. It just sets up your phone as a wireless access point. Simple and works great with lots of options. Oh, and it's free!

14. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

CyanogenMod does NOT have senseUI, and will pretty much cover what you are looking for...supports Apps2SD, has USB tethering built-in (and you can install a wifi tethering app if you so choose...basically turns your phone into a wifi AP), and is for the most part, stock 2.1, except with a more optimized/undervolted kernel.

This is a good walk through that anybody can follow:

Full Update Guide - Nexus One Firmware to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki

15. rfkrocktk

I followed that guide with great success!!!

I had a couple of problems initially, relating to the driver. When I'd run
    Code (Text):
    1. fastboot oem unlock
    It would hang at
    Code (Text):
    1. <waiting for device>
    and it would never actually do anything on the device. When I called
    Code (Text):
    1. fastboot devices
    I got nothing back. What I had to do was have Windows manually install the driver inside of my Android SDK folder. (When I plugged in my N1 in fastboot mode, it would pop up a windows dialogue asking if I wanted to search for a driver to install. I told Windows to look in the Android SDK folder, and it found it and installed perfectly, though it took some time.)

So yeah, it was a little bit of work, but Cyanogen's mod is amazing and completely worth it. I have android-wifi-tether running, and it is AMAZING: on my laptop connected to my phone over wifi, I was able to get 3.2mbps down last night. Compare that to my old Nokia 6555 at around 0.2mbps down. Basically, in no way do I regret rooting it. I love Android.