1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Tether more than one computer?

1. Squiggy

Squiggy Well-Known Member

My girlfriend and I are going away this weekend, and there is no wireless access anywhere. Are there any applications (I've got an HTC Hero running Gingerbread) that I can install that will allow us both to connect at the same time?

Advertisement
  2. Wifi Tether, if you are rooted.
  3. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

I've got 2 laptops tethered by wifi right now, including this one that I'm typing on.
  4. The built-in Hotspot feature (see Settings) turns your phone into a wireless mobile WiFi hotspot to which any number of computers (well, at least a handful, afaik) can be linked.
    Of course the data connection will be over 3G, GPRS, or CDMA (or even 2G if you're unlucky) so it will be eating into your data plan. If you have an 'unlimited data plan' be aware that it is probably subject to a 'fair use policy', which of course means it is not 'unlimited' at all! And I can tell you from experience that you exceed those limits a lot sooner that you expect! And that's waaay expensive.
  5. 350Rocket

350Rocket Well-Known Member

I'm using barnacle with no issues, and I tethered both mine and my friends laptop at the same time and it worked perfect. I'm rooted with 2.1. I was under the impression once I get the 2.2 update I should be able to wifi tether without being rooted. I will have to unroot to get the OTA 2.2 update once it comes.
  6. Squiggy

Thanks EVERYONE for your replies. The one I quoted here from Copleo sounds perfect. Unfortunately, when I select "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot", it just says "Error"

I'm rooted fine, and the phone is not connected to my wifi currently.
  7. If you are rooted, download Wifi Tether. The stock wifi tethering ability might not work unless you are on a custom rom.
  8. Squiggy

I'm on a custom ROM (AOSP Gingerbread). Tried Wifi Tether, but my laptop says it's identifying, then connected, but "No internet Access"
  9. Superbrowndude

Superbrowndude Well-Known Member

Try Barnicale,it works for my comp and my girlfreinds Ipod at the same time
  10. You mean 'Barnacle', right?
  11. Squiggy

I tried it, but I'm having the same problem no matter what app I try to use:

My laptop sees the network (Barnacle in this case), connects, then shows it as "Unidentified Network" and gives me no internet access.

I have this problem with most wireless networks except for the one I have at home.