1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Tether now has an app for Android phones

Last Updated:

1. Cactus73

Cactus73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just got an email from Tether (aka Tetherberry) that they now have an application for Android phones. http://tether.com/android/ I downloaded the trial version, but so far I am very disappointed. It's very slow compared to EasyTether, almost unusable. However, it does do one thing that EasyTether and PDANet cannot do....hook up to a VPN website. I need to access a VPN website for work, so this is an important feature for me. I guess I can just buy Tether for my VPN needs and use EasyTether for everything else.

Anybody else try Tether(berry) on their EVO? How does it compare to EasyTether or PDANet for you?

Advertisement
  2. Gritwater

Gritwater Banned

explain VPN websites for me....

3. Cactus73

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a computer network that uses the Internet to provide individual users with secure access to their organization's network.

EasyTether claims that their application is capable of connecting to a VPN, but I haven't figured out how to make that happen yet.

4. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

So, uhm, why'd you want this if you're on 2.2?

5. Cactus73

I don't understand your question.

6. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

I think he was trying to ask you why should anyone pay this much money for a tethering app that you can already get for free with either EasyTether or Pdanet. This isn't the Blackberry App World, people don't charge ridiculous amounts of money for apps on android.

7. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

2.2, in case you missed it, has built-in tethering. Wired, wireless hotspot, whatever. It's there. It's free. You don't need a third-party app, much less pay for one.

8. Cactus73

I've tried tethering and the wireless hotspot and it does not work. I believe I need to be rooted for that stuff to work.

I explained that. EasyTether and PDANet will not hook up to a VPN site that I need for my job, Tether does. I was just wondering if anybody else was experiencing slow Internet speeds with Tether.

9. Genisis

Genisis Member

You do NOT need to be rooted for that to work. So, there must be another issue at work here.:confused:

10. Cactus73

I have tried the hotspot feature and it does not work. Sprint charges $30 per month for the hotspot feature, so how could I expect to use it for free? The USB tethering feature is not even selectable on my wireless & networks menu.