• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tether Usage

khaos

Apr 12, 2010
So I have been reading around, and am highly interested in tethering. I use my laptop a LOT, and while that might decrease some cus of the phone (email, etc...) it won't replace it. I plan on tethering a lot but read that if you get on VZW's radar they'll sting you.

So I was wondering if there is a way to check how much data you are using?

Also, anyone know how much data various things take? For instance, streaming one TV episode, streaming one movie, playing one hour of online FPS, playing one hour of flash based web game, one hour of general html/xhtml access, etc. So I can plan ahead?

My main worry is that day 1 I tether up, play COD MW2 for an hour, browse for two, watch a TV episode, etc. and then get slammed cus I used 10 gigs on day 1.

TIA

I haven't tried since early 2009 when we had an ice storm that knocked out my net for 2 weeks, but I did not have much luck playing any online games while teathering from my Blackberry 8830 on VZW. I tried playing WoW and the latency was horrible.

I had alright luck watching some youtube videos. It might has also been from everyone and their mother using VZW during that time, since ATT service was out in the region.

Someone with more experience might know some more. I am interested in this also since I plan on tethering my laptop at work now that I have the Inc.

Reactions: khaos
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones