1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Tethered network name increments

1. dhworph

dhworph Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure where to post this as it is a sort of windows 7 issue...

I tether to my VZW Galaxy Nexus regularly via wifi. However, I just moved from a windows xp pro laptop to a windows 7 pro laptop. Now every time I turn my tethering off/on and reconnect, windows increments the network name, i.e. originally it is GnexTether, and then after turning wifi hotspot off/on and reconnecting it becomes 'GnexTether 1', then 'GnewTether 2', etc...

Also windows keeps asking whether it is a home, work, or public network. I think I can select public and have it not ask me that again, but it will still increment the network name.

I've found a few forums where this was discussed but never a solution. It might have to do something with the phone giving new ip addresses each time or something, but that doesn't seem to be completely right to me, there must be something deeper going on.

Anyone have any idea on how to stop the annoying network name incrementing in windows 7???:confused:

Advertisement
    :
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

I'm sure it's a Windows thing that we put up with. It doesn't recognise it as the same network. I've seen it myself when I used open public WiFi at my favourite fried chicken restaurant. I'd get Dicos, Dicos 1, Dicos 2, Dicos 3 and so on. Even though it was the same restaurant and WiFi AP. I just hit close on the dialogue box, I couldn't care if it was home or work or whatever. Getting a new IP address each time is normal, that's DHCP, unless the AP is configured give the same IP addresses to known devices.

I found Windows 7 frequently does it on the school network as well, which is hard wired ethernet and not WiFi, Network, Network 1, Network 2, Network 3 and so on. :rolleyes: Linux doesn't do it.
  3. dhworph

dhworph Well-Known Member

Ya, it appears to be a windows 7 bug... really lame, but can be ignored.