Tethering 2.2?

Last Updated:

1. shallow runner

shallow runner Member This Topic's Starter

Since it seems Verizon has blocked tethering abilities from the Froyo FRG01B update does anyone have info on how to apply this to the phone post update? I imagine there isn't a root yet for the droid on the new update (or am I wrong here?). Should the FRG22 update have it included or are they holding out (for profit reasons I am sure)? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Fauxreal

Fauxreal Member

PDAnet is still working for me to tether.

3. nightelvesreasy

nightelvesreasy Well-Known Member

blocked tethering? maybe for froyo itself, but not any apps you get off the marketplace, pdanet works, and im using easy tether, no problems at all, and you can always root and get tethering that way

4. Jebus

Jebus Well-Known Member

Verizon has blocked tethering? Lies. When I updated to 2.2 this morning, I saw the Tethering option in my settings.

5. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's there, but you have to pay an extra $20 a month for it. They took out wifi hotspot too. It's not blocked, you just have to shell up some extra cash.

Jebus likes this.
  6. Jebus

Jebus Well-Known Member

Ah. Bummer. I guess I will try PDAnet again then. Hopefully I can get it to work.

7. Genetic_Bloom

As far as I know it still works, and it's free so you might as well go with that instead.

Jebus likes this.
  8. nateo200

nateo200 Well-Known Member

And this ladys and gentlemen is why big red are a bunch of dirty bastards....data is data whether i use it direct from the phone or my wifi tethered iPad I think it's fair game. $20 for tethering? Come on im not made of money damnit.....

9. Genetic_Bloom

Verizon along with every other mobile carrier. Not that I agree, but it is much easier to blast through data on a laptop than on a smartphone so I can see where they're coming from at least.

10. VIO

VIO Well-Known Member

we've had a root for the new update before it even got to your phone.

since a lot of ROMS are built from leaks we tend to always have the official stuff before they are released.

So yeah there is a root option to turn on native tether, sort of. The droid doesn't have a wifi transmitter so we tether via adhoc connections. some clever devs have turned the native tethering option into that, but ultimately all that is different from the traditional "Tether for Root users" is that you can turn it on via the settings menu.

11. nateo200

nateo200 Well-Known Member

Obviously but then do what the sensible thing to do is throw a 1GB max on tethering data or better yet put a hard 5GB cap on all data and charge like 5$ a mb after (or just shut it off all together) That will discourage abuse.

12. shallow runner

shallow runner Member This Topic's Starter

That's more what I meant. I am new to the smart phone game so was unaware of the apps. Just got the PDAnet though, have to test it out once I get home. Thanks for the info. Slainte

13. Vereynn

Vereynn Member

I've had continued success with pdaNet on my FroYo'd Droid, but have also been able to use the FroYo USB Tether option BUT ... only when the phone is connected to a WiFi hotspot. Trying to use it while in 3G-only mode brings you to the Verizon "gotta give us more money" page.

Why tether if WiFi's available you ask? The restaurant I tend to use my laptop at the most simply won't give my laptop an IP address - wouldn't when I was running Vista on it and still won't know that I have Windows 7 on it. The phone connects fine (it's one of those WiFi sites where you get redirected to a Terms of Use page before you can get internet access)

So now when I'm there I turn off my 3G radio, connect to the WiFi, then USB tether to my laptop. Kludge? Yes, but not as much as Who Said the Parallel Port Was Dead? :)