Tethering a Moment help (EasyTether)Support

Last Updated:

1. DRMMR02

DRMMR02 Member This Topic's Starter

I have a buddy who has a Samsung Moment through Sprint and he is not very good with technical stuff, but wants to be able to tether it over USB to his laptop to get internet. His phone is running Android 1.5. I tried downloading EasyTether Lite on his phone and laptop, but it's not coming up as a device to connect to on Easy Tether on the laptop. I did enable debugging, but I have a feeling that since his phone is running such an old version of Android, EasyTether won't work on it. Is that true or is there some trick or step that I am missing that would allow EasyTether to connect and run properly on the Moment? Or will I have to try to upgrade his phone to 2.1 to get it to work? And if upgrading is the only option, what is the easiest most pain free method of doing this? I saw a few posts about it on other forums from back in May but I'm not sure if they still work, will brick the phone, if there's a better way, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Sorian

Sorian Well-Known Member

3. edp

edp Well-Known Member

that post you saw in may probably still applies. and it's fairly easy to do, although the sprint updater can take a few tries to get working.

you could also just take it to repair center and have them upgrade it for you, although, they'd prolly take 8 hours to do something that takes a couple of minutes

4. DRMMR02

DRMMR02 Member This Topic's Starter

I just tried to use pdanet with the phone running Android 1.5. His XP laptop is not recognizing the phone. Not as a removable device, and the pdanet installer doesn't see an Android phone connected. I do have it in debugging mode. As it's 1.5 and not 2.1 or 2.2, I'm not entirely sure how to work the USB settings on the phone. What I really just need to do is get some form of tethering program to work with his XP netbook and his 1.5 Moment, but so far all the tricks I know aren't working, probably because every phone I've worked with so far has been something like a Droid X or EVO and not running such an old version of Android or Windows.

5. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

Back in my 1.5 days, I used this thread to set up tethering on my Moment using AZlink: http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/13577-samsung-moment-tethering.html
    Specifically #55 in the thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/13577-samsung-moment-tethering-2.html#post134939 I think back then the Megauploads was the only place to get the file. And I checked, it's still there. You will need winRAR to unzip it.

Bottom line tho, Updating to 2.1 is really the way to go. And will give you wireless tethering (a truly wunnerful thang)

6. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

i use m900 tether by louziffer. works PERFECT with no wire needed. i have tethered my macbook pro to it and will be trying my new itouch later this afternoon. gets good speeds, hardly notice lag when using a browser and also has an underclocking optino for the processor to avoid those pesky data locks

need to be root, but then again with the moment you almost HAVE to be to have a working handset

m900 Wireless Tether for Root Users