• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root tethering app?!?

colossus3874

Oct 11, 2012
I can't get any third party tethering apps to work. Doesn't matter what ROM I'm running. Always used barnacle with no problems with my Optimus, but on the Triumph it tells me that I'm connected and have internet access but no webpages will load. My wife needs to get online once a week for school and right now I'm regretting getting rid of my Optimus. Any help is appreciated

I can't get any third party tethering apps to work. Doesn't matter what ROM I'm running. Always used barnacle with no problems with my Optimus, but on the Triumph it tells me that I'm connected and have internet access but no webpages will load. My wife needs to get online once a week for school and right now I'm regretting getting rid of my Optimus. Any help is appreciated

I thought it worked on our CM7.??? I don't know what happened. You could try on of the ROMs that say the teathering works. I know I had it working for a little while, as I needed it at that moment.

Upvote 0
I'm running CM7 right now and can't get it to load anything even though it says I'm connected. Had a friend try with their laptop too with no better results. Maybe I have something wrong in the settings? Or I can keep flashing ROMs until I find one that hopefully works lol

Yeaaaah, I would look for one that has it listed as working. Although, that might be easier than the dag on camera...;)

Upvote 0
Oh I can get USB tether to work. I'm trying to get a wireless tether app to work so that my phone doesn't have to be plugged into the computer while she has to be online

It would be my recommendation that you use USB tethering as the Barry will die quickly. Even with the phone hooked up to a computer the consumption can exceed the charge rate. But if you use the charger you might over heat the phone off you have a case or a battery that doesn't have a real temperature sensor. With USB tethering you don't have the wifi radio on and saves you a ton of potential headaches.

Reactions: colossus3874
Upvote 0
Well I got the native hotspot to work on one of the builds (don't ask I tried a lot lol), but it cuts in and out a lot. Just curious, when connected to the hotspot, how close to a true Wifi speed do we get? As opposed to connecting to a true hotspot?

Who knows? You gotta think how slow the 3g connection is normally and subtract some for the overhead. I would imagine that the difference would be small, but significant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones