Tethering droid w/ usb using hotel wifi w/ bb0.4

Last Updated:

1. otter

otter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am connected to my hotel's wifi at 54 MBs, but if I select the tethering option for bb 0.4 it says I need motorola driver A844 I think it was. Is that this: USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA

Right now I have pda net hooked up, but it's only connected at 2.4MBs so it doesn't seem to be picking up the wifi signal. Any help would be much appreciated since I'll be at this hotel for a couple days :-(

Advertisement
  2. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

:confused: Why do you need to tether if you have wifi there?

3. otter

I don't have wifi on my computer

4. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Tether apps are designed to share your 3G connection with other devices, not your wifi connection.

5. luvjones305

luvjones305 Active Member

Ok i have my motorola droid flashed on metropcs will it tether to a laptop with metropcs web

6. overcaffein8d

overcaffein8d Well-Known Member

i think he may have been talking about the froyo usb tether

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

to bad tether is PC only! I still have to use PDANet (which works perfect) to use tethering on a mac.

8. smacky

smacky Banned

Why didn't you download Wireless Tether from the Market? That works regardless of OS.

9. Lock-N-Load

ahhh.. since I use PDANet, I didnt know about it.

I will check it out, I am all about less stuff so if I can ditch an app off my computer and phone and just have 1 app on my phone, I am sold.

10. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Ya, I think you'll like the Wireless Tether for Root Users app. It just sets your phone up as a WiFi network. It's technically adhoc, so certain devices won't see it, but computers should, Mac or PC. No need to install any software on the computer.

11. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

And yes, Otter, those are the correct drivers. I don't know exactly how the USB tether works, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to share the WiFi signal with your computer through USB.

12. Lock-N-Load

FWIW.. Wireless Tether will not tether for me right out of the box. My mac will not connect. press 1 button with PDAnet and viola.. east as pie. But Wireless Tether gets no joy.

13. overcaffein8d

overcaffein8d Well-Known Member

14. Lock-N-Load

yeah, I've seen that page. and?

15. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

wireless tether works fine for me but I have to connect it twice before my computer will connect.

16. otter

At the hotel I was staying every day I had to "accept" their online agreement before they would allow me to connect to their wifi. I had always done that on my phone. The last day I was there, however I plugged my phone into the laptop, turned on pdanet (and turned off the tethering option on BB 0.4) and on the laptop I was prompted to accept or deny their wifi agreement!!

I was happy that apparently pdanet was transferring the wifi connection to the laptop, however I was still connected at the same 2.4Mbs and not the 50.4Mbs connection the wifi was supposed to have so I still don't know what's up exactly.

17. Lock-N-Load

SOLVED for mac.. turns out, it is not activated exactly as I would have assumed.

so, it made sense to me that when I turned on Wireless Tether on my Droid that I would just see it added to my Airport drop down list of possible networks to jump on. I never did.

In fact, to get it to work, you open your Network Preferences and highlight "Airport" in left column. Then, on right side, under "Network Name" you will see "Android Thether" in the drop down list. Select that and apply and then your Airport icon up in the menu bar will change to a grey icon with like a phone in it (it will no longer be the standard 4 airport signal bands)... viola

Barkleyfan likes this.