Tethering... how much is too much?

Last Updated:

1. ccoram

ccoram Active Member This Topic's Starter

What kind of GB/month usages are some of you guys recording? Everyone has the infamous "if you go over 5 GB they will put a lien on your house" fear but I didn't know if that had been proven or not. I canceled all my internet at home so I only use my VZW service and Wireless Tether now. I also finally got my PS3 connected too so thats going to require so GB.

Anybody actually been caught tethering that you know of?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

No, but if you use a LOT of data (I define that as over 5 GB, others will debate that) it may very well put you on their radar screen and they CAN (a) terminate your service, or (b) charge you out the butt per MB, or (c) BOTH. They can tell what's phone data and what's tethered data... and while I have yet to hear of Verizon actually doing it, somebody is going to be the first and they will be made an example of. Most of us tether lightly, as necessary, and encourage restraint. It will only take one person tethering torrents or something to ruin a great thing for everybody.

3. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

^^^this

I do know of a lady who primarily posts in the Eris section by the name of OfTheDamned, and she has stated that she's used upwards of 10GB a month (albeit mostly not from tethering but rather downloading ROMs and such) and Verizon has contacted her before without punishment...at least from the last time I heard from her

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

10 GIGAbytes of data downloading ROMs? :eek::eek::eek:

Good grief! And I thought some of the people in here were hyper-flashers!

5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

LOL

Well it isn't all from downloading ROMs. ;) I do tether a little, but not more than a Gig or 2 a month. I just really use the hell out of my phone during the day and almost never connect to Wifi (Wifi in my office is terribly overburdened to begin with). Due to the restrictions on our network at the office I find myself having to download files all the time on my phone. I stream music ALL day via Pandora or Radio Time as well. In short, I use a ton of data and quite frequently hit the 9 gig mark.

Verizon shut off my data one time (I hit 14 Gigs that month I think) and I had to call in to get it reconnected. After explaining that I had no way of tethering (I wasn't rooted at the time) and that all of this data was from "normal" usage they reconnected my data. I have not had an issue since, although the supervisor I spoke with did tell me that he was placing a note on my account about our conversation and that I was still flagged.

6. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Well-Known Member

i reached 14GB last month....tethered maybe 4GB of that. the other was from streaming pandora or other internet radio while at work. i cannot connect to the Wi-Fi here, so i have to use 3G. havn't heard anything from Verizon yet so....

but for someone like me, it seems fairly easy to get above 8GB a month. i am trying to cut back but i found my morning station in an app, so about 2.5 hours every morning on streaming WILL be happening. lets see what i can get up to this month...lol

7. larry0071

larry0071 Well-Known Member

Last fall I had a single month that I was slightly over 23 gig, I was tethering to my laptop via WMWiFiRouter and streaming Hulu/Fancast/Netfix while on nightshift at work. I would watch 2 movies per night, 7 nights a week for about 3.5 weeks. Verizon never said a word, but maybe they let it go because my normal data intake is about 1.5 to 2 gig a month? I am starting another month of 12 hour nightshifts tomorow.... I'll be doing it again! This happens once or twice a year for me during our plants shutdown, I have to be here and awake or I can be fired... it is hard to stay awake while looking at the wall at 3am!

8. razorclose

razorclose Well-Known Member

Haha sorry if I misquoted, I just remembered seeing that you used an extraordinary amount of data one month and couldn't remember the post or the details ;)