tethering. i dont get it!

Last Updated:

1. brooks77

brooks77 Member This Topic's Starter

I downloaded pdanet and I couldn't get it running on my desktop. I copied it on the desktop, and it says its activated, but dont how to access it. Am I supposed to go thru internet explorer? And will my cell company, verizon, charge me for it? Or should I just root and then tether? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Rooting and using some of the newer ROMs and kernels will offer great free tethering. As for Verizon, be careful with your usage. I would not download gigabytes of stuff while tethered or try to stream netflix films. They can notice the abnormal usage for a mobile device. For general websurfing and lite downloads you should be fine. There are plenty threads here dedicated to rooting and tethering. Rooting will also give you other benefits (example: overclocking).

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

To use pdanet you need to start the app on your phone and on your pc at the same time. Once you hook it up via usb it should be fine.

4. toker11

toker11 Well-Known Member

just root and use the "wireless tethering" soooo much better and easier to use

5. brooks77

brooks77 Member This Topic's Starter

OK ill try it again thanks fellas.

6. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Yeah wireless tethering is amazing. Seeing these ads for these separate mobile broadband hotspot hardware devices that certain wireless providers are selling makes me laugh.

You can even have multiple devices tethered to your Droid wirelessly.

7. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

There should be a native or market app for this for unrooted people since the Palm Pre Plus has an app for this and you can use it with a stock phone. Verizon stopped charging for this just recently too (was $40/month :eek:!). If I didn't have to be rooted for this, I would prolly run a stock phone since this is one of the very few apps I use that require root (which shouldn't be the case). Otherwise, WiFi tethering is awesome!

8. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

You don't have to be rooted to use tether, I use easy tether, the paid version, it is only ten dollars from the market, and is so much faster than WiFi tether is for rooted phones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Wow, they REALLY want to boost Palm's dying sales, don't they? :rolleyes:

10. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

What? Prove it. The limiting factor is the 3G connection speed. Maybe if you were comparing it to tethering with bluetooth. Wifi is plenty fast to handle as much bandwidth as a 3G data connection can provide.

11. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

I've gotten comparable if not better speeds with wifi