Tethering issuesSupport

1. imlost29

imlost29 Member

I need some help please. I have a Samsung Galaxy Precedent (model SCH-M828C) from Straight Talk and I am trying to figure out just exactly how I go about using my phone as a modem so I can hook it up via usb cable to my computer and get internet on my computer. I used to use PDAnet for my old phone thru another cell provider and it worked just fine, but that is not happening to be the case now. Can someone please help me out. I have already downloaded the driver "SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_x86" and am getting nowhere, or I just am not sure where to go next. I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you! :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. xPureEvilx

xPureEvilx Well-Known Member

Root your phone and all these problems go away, you can check out the RTTO your Phone by davew41 or goto AndroidArea51.com if you want to root and upgrade your phone to gingerbread. You will be able to tether with or without a wire after that.
  3. imlost29

imlost29 Member

Ok if I download the root, will I still need to use PDAnet or what do I do next to connect?
  4. imlost29

imlost29 Member

Also if I root my phone, will I lose any info on my phone?
  5. akashik

akashik Well-Known Member

Yes, to both questions.
  6. xPureEvilx

1st question:

Yes and no:
    You have a few options for tethering once you have root: Wifi tether or Wired Tether you can use things like Barnacle Wifi Tether and there are alot of others for wifi and then you wont have to use a wire, or you can use things like PDA net and there are alot of others for wired tether.

2nd question:

Yes and no:
    you will be doing a factory reset but if you are synced with gmail your contacts will come back, and you can download Titanium Backup and then after you root you can restore most your apps. Things like pictures on your SD card should be fine but I would still move them to your computer to be safe.
  7. sillyname

sillyname Well-Known Member

EasyTether is another alternative, it works on the Precedent via USB, with no need for root, only $9.99. I use it when I'm mobile and 2.4GHz really is crowded or jammed.

8. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

I'm still looking for a reverse tether (use the computer's internet connection for the phone via USB). Rooted phone or not. Has anyone found anything that'll do it? (My wifi connection at work is anywhere from poor to nothing.)
  9. xPureEvilx

Why not just get a wifi router?
  10. sillyname

If you are using Windows, then set up ICS.

Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot
  11. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

NP at home, but at the office the computer has no wifi radio and I can't add a router (security) so I need a USB solution. And I can't use ICS because I'm connected to a domain controller. (I'm stuck with the provider's neighborhood wifi, which is running at about 1mbps thruput because it's very weak.)
  12. sillyname

13. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Thanks. I found that last night and tried it. I can't be sure, because I didn't have time to do much, and Market seems to turn wifi on by itself (and I'm sitting about a foot from the router), but it does seem to be the answer. It's going to take some playing with the proxy setup though. Not a plug and play solution, but I like tinkering, so I'll figure it out.
  14. bullfroghrr

bullfroghrr New Member

I am using cm7 and I keep getting an error message under portable wifi hotspot