tethering moment to os x 10.4.11 powerbook?Support

Last Updated:

1. dajuke

dajuke Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks, new to the forums here, so this is my first time posting. I'm planning on purchasing a moment in a couple weeks, and I have been perusing the forums, but I have yet to find a yes or no answer to my question. Everything I have read is either a year old, or applies to os x leopard/snow leopard. So here's my question.

Now that the moment is updated to 2.1, will pdanet or another app allow me to tether my phone to an older mac powerbook running os x 10.4.11? Or is my computer simply too old for this to work?

I am savvy enough to follow directions if this requires a few steps, but I am definitely no expert. Any help would be appreciated, or even just a link to a thread that answers my question. Much thanks for your help!!

Advertisement
  2. htcman724

htcman724 Well-Known Member

if you can root you can get a custon kernal and run wifi tethering.i would think that the wifi tethering would work on any system that has wifi.

3. dajuke

dajuke Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, from the lack of overwhelming response, though my thanks to htcman, it seems that rooting my soon to be phone and making it a wifi hotspot is my best/only course of action. That being so, I have a couple basic questions.

I found a guide for setting my phone up for wifi, but it left some things unanswered. Anyone with experience with wifi-ing a moment please pitch in.

1.) How greatly does setting a moment up for wifi affect the battery? Does it drain a lot faster? the same?

2.) Wifi is not a function I would plan to use often, probably a few times a year. Is there a way I can turn it off once my phone is rooted and all set up for it? And then just turn it on for the few occasions I want to use it?

3.) Does rooting my phone actually change the core programming, or simply add functionality to it? How likely am I to brick my phone?

4.) Will a rooted phone still run all apps from the market place, and function smoothly?

Thanks again,

a new android user

4. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Well it varies on what you use for your rom and it will drain more since the wi fi radio does use a little more power if I understand it correctly.
    The wifi tether app turns off when you turn it off. You only have to use it when you want.
    It will only add functionality to it. You would only brick your phojne making changes to the rom or files before installing.
    Yes it will runs all your apps still and function smoothly. just go with used files that have feedback.