Tethering not allowed ??General

Last Updated:

1. doc1964

doc1964 Well-Known Member

My stepson currently has a galaxy s on the One contract with three in the UK. This comes with unlimited data and allows tethering. His contract is due to expire in a few days and he has not been offered any decent upgrade deals by 3. There is a good deal with Virgin UK on S3 just now that gives practically unlimited everything including Data but does not allow tethering. I was wondering if there is any way round this tethering restriction. I know if you try to connect you will probably get diverted to a page telling you that tethering is not possible, Does Foxfi or any similar program bypass this action. Want to confirmt his before moving network.
    Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Foxfi doesn't work on most jellybean phones.

It may be worth editing your title to include "virgin uk" to get a more targeted response. I assume all networks manage it the same way (user agent string detection) but I can't be certain.

For example, 3's plans under the one plan don't allow tethering. They detect the user agent as NOT being an android phone. Some browsers can manually change the user agent (chrome for example).

I have one plan so cannot Test. Friend at work tethered his ipad and got redirected in safari, but other streaming apps (that didn't use a user agent string) worked fine.

If you can't get a virgin specific answer, get their payg sim and test it.

You can get the android user agent string by going to whatsmyuseragent.com
  3. javamann

javamann Well-Known Member

pdanet works...been using it for years and it's still good.

JM