• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering on Rogers

samuelmaskell

Android Enthusiast
May 11, 2009
Victoria,BC
Hey guys,
I got froyo on my nexus one a few days ago and I'm dying to try out the mobile hotspot feature. However, I only have a 500mb plan and rogers only allows tethering with 1gb+ plans. The only thing is, I don't see how they can tell that I'm tethering. Shouldn't it just seem the same to them? For all they know, I can't even tether because they still think I have a magic. I don't know. I think I'll just try it out and see if I get charged. Does anyone know how they would tell though?

Yeah, I don't think they can tell. We'll see though. I don't think I can get 1gb for an extra $5 bucks though because I'm on one of the older plans. I wouldn't really want it anyway though. They only advantage would be tethering and that's not that important to me.

Yes, of course, the magic can tether. I had "wireless tether for root users" the entire time I had a magic. I was saying that because it would make sense that they could tell I'm tethering if it's a built in feature of the OS. As far as they know though, it's not a built in feature of the OS because they think I have a magic with 1.5. Seems to me that it would be even harder for them to tell if it was an app doing it but I really don't know how they would tell in the first place.

Upvote 0
They say that you can only use tethering on the 1GB+ plans, though I'm not sure how they identify it.

Obviously it has nothing to do with packet capture, however, they may go based on MAC addresses.

I've done this before to test if you're not sure: Use a little bit of tethering data, wait 24 hours, then call in asking if there are any extra charges on the account, because your son got a hold of the phone. I use it to verify, but sometimes they even reverse the charges. However, when we're talking 5 cents / meg, it ain't a lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones