tethering on the droid

Last Updated:

1. bdal1

bdal1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I havent seen this one answered lately.
    Has anyone had any trouble from verizon for thethering over 3g?

Advertisement
  2. JKaiz

JKaiz Well-Known Member

Been tethering since jan. No problems yet

3. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I was talking to a guy on irc who just got a $870 bill from verizon, and a email stating that his account will be canceled in 15 days unless he (A stops tethering, (B purchases a mifi/usb 3g stick (C removes his data plan and switches phones. Scary lol.

4. Miga

Miga Well-Known Member

Any way to get this guy to show us a copy of the letter and a screen shot of his bill. Little paint and he can block out his account number and stuff. Not that i don'd believe him, I just think it would put an end to all these threads about the same subject.

5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know if I can really believe that with all the people in this forum that use tethering programs such as PdaNet or Wireless Tether for Root Users. If there was a case of someone getting a big bill, I think that person would come here to post an angry topic. ;)

Was he tethering with an Android device using one of the two aforementioned tethering programs?

6. gregg098

gregg098 Active Member

There is probably an undisclosed red flag limit out there. I can see how someone who takes advantage of tethering month after month and has extremely high usage compared to everyone else would eventually get flagged and get a closer look. Thats really just speculation, but if 1 user out of every 100,000 uses 100x the bandwidth of everyone else, it would just make sense that he gets flagged in some way or another and stands out.

On the other hand, I too would like to see proof. Maybe he's a paid Verizon fear monger.

7. meekrab

meekrab Well-Known Member

Make no mistake, verizon can tell if you're tethering. Whether they do anything about it is up for speculation.

Things might change when they release an official droid tethering solution, which is supposed to come out soon. At that point, when you actually have the option of paying for verizon facilitated tethering, I could see them cracking down more.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my wifi.

8. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I thought I heard PdaNet does something about modifying the data headers or something so it doesn't look like you're using a computer with the data plan? I wouldn't think Verizon would be able to tell what someone is doing with the data that they pull in on their phone, shouldn't it just look like the phone is pulling data to them?