Tethering on the EVO

Last Updated:

1. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In the news release they state that they will charge $29 for "unlimited tethering". My question is, how will they limit or prohibit tethering thru apps like pda.net???

Advertisement
  2. mkampy

mkampy Well-Known Member

they wont/dont. Most people in the world wont know about the pda.net or the tethers of the world.

3. Nitrousoxide

Nitrousoxide Active Member

There's really no way they can tell if you are tethering either, outside of you just consuming a lot of data.

'Course, since the EVO has TRULY unlimited bandwidth caps, they really can't justify cutting you off because you're using a lot of bandwidth, and so they really have no way of telling if you're tethering or not.

4. random255

random255 Well-Known Member

I'm part of the unknowing-majority...can you fill us in?

5. mkampy

mkampy Well-Known Member

not entirely... I am a blackberry user ( I used the Tether software for the trial period, loved it but could not part with the fee to upgrade)

I used an android for a week, I read about pda.net has a lite tethering for free, and unlimited version for fee, Tether is also working on a beta for android.

Current users, is PDA.net in marketplace ?

if not google something along the lines of android tether, and you should find it in the first few results...

6. MyHTCevo

MyHTCevo Well-Known Member

Anyone think the tethering companies will have a hard time coming up with a tether software for the HTC Evo since it's got the 4G on board and is such a new piece of technology?

7. mkampy

mkampy Well-Known Member

NO

8. slimboutit

slimboutit Well-Known Member

9. sailrace

sailrace Active Member

Rooting is far and away the easier method. Someone much smarter than me will have the EVO routed within a day or two of release. At that point, WIFItether will be available as an app, and you can tether all day long for free.

I used it on the hero for a while, when i still had the phone, and it's pretty flawless. What we don't know is whether you can use it as a hotspot through rooting. It may only allow one connection.

10. skinnyguy

skinnyguy Well-Known Member

you think pdanet will support 4g?

11. slimboutit

slimboutit Well-Known Member

I don't see why not. Which antenna the data is coming in on shouldn't affect how the app interacts with your computer.

12. Bigprimo

Bigprimo Well-Known Member

Im willing to bet Sprint has something in place. If you dont get the 29.99 plan then they are gonna block the wifi cap and or keep you on the 3g with the cap when it comes to hotspotting.

I just dont see Sprint letting people beat them this time since with the 10$ extra luxury tax they are money hungry!!!

13. mkampy

mkampy Well-Known Member

There have been leaks that FroYo will allow wireless tether...

[wait&see_mode]

14. lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Thats my question, when the EVO is upgraded to Froyo how will they stop you from using the hotspot app already allowed in the OS?

Seems like Sprint is getting as much $ as they can before the 2.2 is released and plays the spoiler.

15. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You know, after I started this thread I thought...."why do we even need to tether"??? I mean, if you can use the phone as a wifi hotspot, there is no need to tether...tight???? What am I missing??????

16. djdisturbed

djdisturbed Well-Known Member

well, tethering w/ out paying the monthly fee. for people like me, I only need to get one laptop onto the net every so often, the $30/ moth is a little high just for that for me, I have been using a tether program on my palm pre that i donated $20 for the full access to it one time, BUt it does not work well where i work b/c i get low signal on 3g. I dont waht to be paying $30/ month just to not get a good signal where i work to get on the net with.