TETHERING ON THE NEW "UNLIMITED $50 PLAN" IS NOW SUPER THROTTLED ME DOWN TO 12-25kb/sec READ!!!

Last Updated:

1. jlm88

jlm88 New Member

Hello i am saddened to say METROPCS has now finally sucked me in on there trap. Also new guidelines. I have been almost paying $70/month for my unlimited 4g service from Deltona, FL Area. I had just renewed my account only a week ago. Well im usually using my website browsing with tethering. And i warn anyone who is now a tether kind a guy. Yesterday i got a text message from a Metro Notification on my phone stating:
    "Your Data use this month places you in the top 5 percent of users. Use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds."
    Funny thing is i dont do anything big but play some poker online and websurfing sites, Facebook, etc. That text message may i remind you came around noon of yesterday. Well at 6:30am. I wake up and see i already got a new text again from yet other METROPCS. The new notification text message i read is now "Your Data Usage is among the top 5 percent of users. Data speeds for the rest of your current bill cycle may be reduced. Email ServiceAgreement@metropcs.com"

This is horrible. Please if this happens to anyone else post about it i would like to hear more stories in this topic. Also i am going to begin looking through my build.prop looks a bit different in some manners. Just upset because im seriously not near a mb/s im now at like 22-200kb/second but always low barely gets up highly at all. :mad::confused::(

Advertisement
    divagirl likes this.
  2. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

can u take a pic of that txt cuz me and a few other tether the crap out of our phones using netflix pandora and normal net browsing i highly doubt u use more than me i suppose they have high limit for the $70 im on the $55 plan no txt like that yet. and ur new plan changes dont take into effect until your new billing cycle so whatever u used on your old previous plan will still be on ur account till next billing cycle. Ive watched 4 high quality movies yesterday on my esteem using my 4g along with a few hours of pandora and check out my data usage.

[​IMG]
    nuttmeg likes this.
  3. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

And if you paying $50 why not pay 5 more for unlimited, that makes no sense at all.
    n4zty likes this.
  4. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

ahh nutt u caught what i didnt see and ofcourse if ur on the $50 plan your capped at 2.5 gb geeze why didnt i see that lol and yea bump it $5 more for unlimted use and hurry b4 they end that promo.
  5. PRkid

PRkid Well-Known Member

I'm on the $50 a month plan, but pay $45 bc of the adding a line takes away $5 from your monthly bill deal. If I want to upgrade to the $55/month plan, will I end up paying $50 or the regular $55?
  6. Williamw545

Williamw545 Well-Known Member

50 ;) I'm on the 55 but pay 50 cause the family plan. :D
  7. PRkid

PRkid Well-Known Member

Not bad then. I might end up switching when I have to pay my bill, which is in a couple weeks. Hopefully the deal is still available. Thanks :D
  8. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

I pay $50 also cause of the family plan...
  9. divagirl

divagirl Well-Known Member

My daughter also received this message..... and she "is" on the $55.00 unlimited plan ...what gives? I thought there was suppose to no caps with this new "unlimited plan" ....am I wrong? :confused:
  10. Curster

Curster Well-Known Member

Yeah they will still cap you or slow you down if you are sucking up the data. They sent me messages like those back when I first started tethering. Then I switched over and paid for PDANet which strips your data usage for your carrier.

I was using the 2.5 and never got any messages after I got PDANet. Also you can use a VPN to block your usage.

My Download speed is between 2 and 4 mbs it's faster than stealing it from my neighbors wifi lol
    PHP87 and LeeoJohnson like this.
  11. divagirl

divagirl Well-Known Member

Yeah I also use PDANet, with tthe hide data usage setting.... Works really well! ;)
  12. Curster

Curster Well-Known Member

Better than my old dsl lol.
  13. deathrow911

deathrow911 Well-Known Member

Told you guys PDAnet was the shiznit. But thanks n4sty I upgraded to the $55 plan and haven't looked back.

But it's weird that they throttled you down. They did that to me when I first started tethering. The 2nd (and last) time I went over my limit they just stopped me from streaming media but I still could go on websites and play my games while tethering. Weird.
  14. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

i pay $45 lol since i have the $55 and another line on my account on the $40 plan so i get a $10 discount but when the s3 comes out this friday im gonna put insurance back on so that will jack me up $5 but im still paying less than many else where with other carriers.
  15. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

Unlimited Data != tethering allowed

Let me rephrase that more clearly, Unlimited Data DOES NOT mean you are allowed to tether!!!

Unless you are paying for a plan with tethering, or it states in your contract you can tether!!!
    horsecharles likes this.
  16. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

so you saying they are throttling users that they speculate is tethering illgegally? makes sense since fine prints warns they will be throttled if users are consuming abnormal amount of data.
  17. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

thought everyone knew that.

there's no mobile hotspot option for the no limit plans.

seems people are using the workarounds and getting nabbed.
  18. trigger1074

trigger1074 Well-Known Member

50 and 60 plans only ...at your own risk on any other plans
  19. 05TRAILBLAZER

05TRAILBLAZER Well-Known Member

i haven't gotten no text message saying that. its odd.
  20. ooowhat2do

ooowhat2do Member

I signed up for the unlimited $55 promo plan. 2 days ago I received the same text as the OP. I take online courses and need to take an online proctored exam but now I'm down to 0.10mbps/0.14mbps and it's unbearable. Is there a way that I can reset or root or do something to stop the throttle and go back to 4G speeds? Mind you I was using PDANet and Level 1 (hide) 95% of the time (I had to start on 'none' in order for Netflix to play and then quickly switch over to Level 1 while it was still loading). Since someone mentioned that using PDAnet would prevent being detected I was surprised that I was throttled at all.
  21. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

Theres no way for you to reset it but if you force 3G that may be faster, how much data have you used?
  22. ooowhat2do

ooowhat2do Member

When I signed into the MPCS site the data is at 61% and I read another thread where this number was also listed. 61% of what I'm not sure. My billing starts on the 1st so I have a couple weeks left of this slomo hell. How can I set it to 3G?

23. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

ooowhat2do likes this.
  24. ooowhat2do

ooowhat2do Member

What VPN do you recommend? Are any free? I searched the Play store and the options were either TRIALs or 3-5 hours free per month/week.
  25. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

Why nobody thinks it could be YMMV thing? there are probably very busy markets there, where this actually needed.