TETHERING ON THE NEW "UNLIMITED $50 PLAN" IS NOW SUPER THROTTLED ME DOWN TO 12-25kb/sec READ!!!

Last Updated: 2013-01-23 20:43:50
  1. ohbaby

ohbaby Well-Known Member

This happened to me also...... http://androidforums.com/5250387-post35.html

Advertisement
  2. ohbaby

ohbaby Well-Known Member

Please help, I have been throttled on the unlimited plan. I don't tether. Is PDANet and VPN only for people who tether? Or will it hide data regardless? Plus is it only for capped plans? ($50 & $60)
  3. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

What do you use your mobile data for?
  4. ohbaby

ohbaby Well-Known Member

Downloads, streaming? Not sure of the question.

They throttled my unlimited plan, and I don't tether. Most of my data is used downloading multimedia and or streaming ballgames, tv shows and the like.

Is there a program that could hide my data usage from you know who?
  5. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

There is no way you could hide your data whatsoever it's going over their network VPN is so you can hide what kind of data it is & thats for tethering and what you use your phone for that is a lot of constant data going through the network, especially if your in a high density, low capacity area I would think they suspect something fishy is going on
  6. ohbaby

ohbaby Well-Known Member

So basically VPN and PDANet hides the fact you're tethered.

I have never tethered. I have been using my phone as my computer. I know, sounds lame but it is what it is. So maybe with the constant data they think I'm tethered? Plus I'm in NYC, talk about high density, low capacity.

Our top speeds here suck. Occasionally, we'll get 3 to 4 Mbps speed,.., but on avg it's more like 1 to 2 Mbps. And now with the throttle fugetaboutit.

But your right, switching to EV does help.
  7. Gman9831

Yes only if you tether, on HF when most people post theyve been throttled the ones in NY used less data than others when they get throttled
  8. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

yeah dude if you're using your phones as a replacement for your computer and TV while streaming TV shows, sports events, and whatever audio you might have on mobile data you're probably averaging around 100GBs a month which would indeed put you in that top 5%.

tethering or not doesnt matter, its those who are super high volume data users. usually people who are tethering and/or streaming netflix all day are the ones getting these warnings.

there's language in metroPCSs TOS that prohibit high volume data usage. every carrier offering no limit mobile data has it.
  9. airtioteclint

airtioteclint Well-Known Member

Anybody know how long is the throttle period. I got that text a few days ago. Been throttled since and my new cycle starts today, I have $55 unlimited plan. I know that when I forget to pay my bill the services stops around noon. So shouldn't my new cycle have kicked already? It's six in the evening.

Ps. I don't tether.
  10. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

wow why did u get throttle if u dont tether? well to answer that, any changes takes into effect 24 hours after your bill date, so for example my bill date is on the 6th and if i wasnt on the unlimted plan i would have to wait till the 7th for new changes.
    airtioteclint likes this.
  11. airtioteclint

Possible reason #1: (probability 99.9%) I went through a UFC marathon, watching all the episodes that I missed.

Possible reason #2: (probability. 01%) I got curious and turned on my hotspot in settings to see if it works. It said it was working but I never actually turned on a pc to connect and verify. Maybe just turning it on will trip something somewhere?

Anyhow I knew I was using a lot of data watching ufc so the text niether surprised or upsetted me. Just wondering when I'll get my speeds back.
  12. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

well did all this happened before your new billing cycle or after? if before then yea you get it back but if after you paid your bill u gotta wait till your new billing cycle comes.
    airtioteclint likes this.
  13. airtioteclint

Yeah got it back last night. Got to be more careful with my unlimited data now. Lol.
  14. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Even when you have an unlimited data plan you have to use your head, I don't know about your TOS but mine says that after 10 GB of 4G data and I drop down to 2.5 GB of 3G data and then I'm throttled to under 250 kb/s. While it's still unlimited, it's not meant to be an ISP or cable television substitute.
  15. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

Yea I suppose people think unlimited data means unlimited tethering but its not like that. Same rules when going to a all you can eat buffet! Its all you can eat there not all you can take home, same principle here its all you can use on your phone not all the data you can tether off it. But bottom line all these carriers are full of it. They actually do have a certain data limit where they will say enough is enough. Just try to keep in mind guys this wasn't meant to replace home network lol.
  16. focused313

focused313 Member

I have the "unlimited" plan and I notice my speeds are throttled. Of course I tether to my tablet in my car....netflix, youtube, tunein radio, etc...

I won't dare complain because no matter what speed I'm at, I can still stream whatever I want.

The only problem I have with my LG Motion is that when I lose the 4g signal, my tethering automatically stops and won't re-connect by itself.
  17. averagewonder

averagewonder Well-Known Member

hmm i can seem to get an wirelss thethering to work with my connect i got the PDAnet with the usb and that worked but the foxfi doesnt and the wifi tehter app i used in the past doesnt seem to work any more. by the way my connect is rooted.
  18. airtioteclint

I'm back to being throttled. Down to 25kb/s. My cycle just started on the 29th. The only thing i downloaded since it started was a nightly which is like 190mb. Buuuulcrap. :/
  19. ooowhat2do

ooowhat2do Member

I was just going to inquire about the speeds residents in the Los Angeles, CA area are getting. My data was reset. The UPLOAD speed is around 3mbps while the DOWNLOAD is only 0.22-0.43! I've called several times today and updated my PRL and reset the phone etc. etc. I was told that since a LOT of ppl bought phones over Black Friday and Cyber Monday ... AND since I live in a metropolitan area that the towers are congested. Before I was throttled I'd only checked my speed once using speedtest in September. My Download was 1.5mbps and upload 3mbps. I just prepaid my bill and 0.22 is for 4G service is not acceptable. I remember when I got the service it was really fast probably around 6-8mbps as it didnt take any time to load pages and Netflix full length movies (in HD) streamed in seconds.

So, since I can't buy a phone right now and get Straight Talk I'm stuck with a substandard service that is NOT what I paid for. Is there anyone at Metropcs that will listen to customers? What can we do about improving awareness about their false advertising?
  20. twogbsd

twogbsd Well-Known Member

TBH, it really isn't false advertising. The 4G LTE network isn't fully developed yet. 4G Service will be very crappy in some areas until Metro finishes up with the spectrum refarming. Once done refarming, MetroPCS' 4G LTE will average around 6-12 Mbps. Also depending on what plan you're on and if you stream alot, then you may have been reduced to 3G speeds. Speed tests can take a huge chunk of your 4G/3G data, about 10 - 125 Mbps per test depending on the app. Hope I helped somewhat :D (Welcome to the forums btw :) )
  21. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

can you check your data usage on metropcs.com for me and tell me whats its saying? thanks.
  22. Androidconda

Androidconda Member

I've used well over 20GB of data this month downloading games movies and streaming. I rarely use Wi-Fi. I do allot of tethering for my ps3 but I never got throttled. I received a text and I get 6-10 Mbps. I have a rooted LG motion
  23. Androidconda

Androidconda Member

And I'm on the $55 plan
  24. Gman9831

Just a heads up there's a edit button below what you commented
    Well you have the fully unlimited plan the only time they throttle you on that plan is when you've used way too much data and the system decides your impeding the service of others
  25. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

hey just a suggestion :) you can edit your previous post instead of double posting ;) that helps mods keep the threads nice and neat :D