Tethering only works after clean bootSupport

Last Updated:

1. brongracz

brongracz New Member This Topic's Starter

So I did like this: I made a backup with myBackup. I reseted the phone to factory deafults. I launched it back and checked tethering - it was working fine, as it should. I restored my backup of apps and data, without phone settings. The tethering doesn't work anymore.

Could there be an app which is disabling it and common to all of us having this problem?

I include list of my apps created with MyAppsList:

Advertisement
  2. brongracz

brongracz New Member This Topic's Starter

I did one more memory cleanup (factory defaults). I started adding apps one by one testing tethering after each. Tethering was working fine. After six or so I switched the device off and booted it up again. Tethering was gone now. I thought and uninstalled all apps one by one, testing tethering each time. I performed two more reboots. Tethering was still gone (I tested it on 2 Win7 64bit and one XP).

My next thought was to perform a third cleanup today (factory defaults). So I did. I only setup my device (specifying language, providing google account credentials etc.) and then, still in 1st boot I tested it on above mentioned 3 computers. Tethering worked like a charm. Then I restarted the smartphone and tethering was gone.

Conclusion: In my phone tethering works only in 1st clean bootup.

Anybody who experiences tethering problems like these, please, if you do a cleanup to factory defaults do a test. Clean the device. Set it up. Test tethering. Reboot and test once again. Please post your conclusions here. THX

Device Summary
    Device: HTC HTC Wildfire
    Android Version: 2.1-update1
    Build: ERE27
    Applications Installed: 35

3. kokoliko

kokoliko New Member

This is VERY interesting results you write about. I've been having the tethering problem for about 4 months now aswell but I do remember it working somewhere in the beginning. This explains it all.

I would be happy to do factory defaults reset but I'm having trouble starting my Wildfire. Since I installed android 2.2 yesterday it just reboots and reboots and reboots, never gets started up. I've tried to start it up with VOLUME DOWN + POWER to access recovery. But now it instead hangs on a screen with a phone and a RED TRIANGLE WITH AN EXCLAMATION MARK and then reboots after a while.

So I googled this and found it's the "recovery state" and that I could push VOLUME UP + POWER to enter a recovery menu. I've tried WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET option and WIPE CACHE PARTITION when the first one didn't work but no matter what I do now, it seems I'm stuck with the recovery state.

My phone is not rooted.

I guess maybe I should've tried the CLEAR STORAGE option in the first menu I mentioned (vol down + pow) instead of doing recovery, so I tried it now, but no luck.

Any ideas? Can I use the update.zip option in the "recovery state" menu, by downloading some update and getting it on to the sdcard by other means? What is this option for?

Best regards!