1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Tethering Question

1. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Hello, I have had my Captivate for quite sometime. The thing I am always nervous to do is tether to my laptop, because I am afraid AT&T will spring a charge on me. So I had 2 questions. Can I tether with a 3rd party app that I buy from the market with no additional fee? ( easy tetherpro ) or can I even use the Samsung Kies option for tether ( I have one of the earlier versions seeing as I never updated it ) Or with using one of these entitle me to pay an extra fee? I was really interested in this because I have so much date left over. Thanks In Advance

Advertisement
    :
  2. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Oh yah, I forgot, I don't have my phone rooted.
  3. tdrew

tdrew Member

Try PDANet. It's free, and works great for me. Not sure what AT&T will tell you. I suppose it will depend on your data usage.
  4. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Did AT&T charge you for tethering?
  5. Surfer

Surfer Well-Known Member

Do you have a tethering plan though?
  6. Chief714

Chief714 Well-Known Member

PDAnet works for me and I haven't been charged. I tethered my macbook and no problems. But I only tethered once... still no charges tho
  7. matwheeler

matwheeler Member

Well after looking around on the web, I found a way to USB-tether my macbook very easily. Take a look at this website if you have a mac. **Do this on our own accord**

Samsung Captivate Tethering for OS X
  8. LMaxwell

LMaxwell Well-Known Member

To answer your question, if you tether without the appropriate data plan, you do it at your own risk. AT&T's TOS clearly states that if you tether without a plan and they catch you, they have the right to not only charge you for the data, but to terminate your service without notice.

I don't know how often they do it, or if it's something they actively look for, but personally I don't think the risk is worth it.