Tethering QuestionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. tproctor

tproctor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone explain this tethering thing to me? I've read through a ton of threads, but am still having a hard time grasping exactly what this is for. I know there are several apps (PDANet, Easytether), but what exactly is tethering used for? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. ad720

ad720 Well-Known Member

Tethering uses your phones cellular connection to provide an internet connection to your computer, via USB or Bluetooth.

I am using PDAnet and it's great, the only downside is that you need to install the PDAnet application to whatever computer you are using but one PDAnet license is good for as many computers as you want.

3. scrubs

scrubs Well-Known Member

It is for connecting to the internet via your phone's 3g internet connection. Use it if you want to surf the net on your laptop but there is no wifi available.

4. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

I just installed EasyTether. Tried it out and it worked great. I travel a lot and most of the time, I can do 99% of what I need to do on my phone, but sometimes I need to use my netbook, such as writing a long email or submitting some documents. If there isn't a free wi-fi network nearby, or even one I have to pay for, I can just hook up my phone and use that to connect my netbook to the internet.

Remember that this should be used as a short-term solution and don't be downloading tons of movies while you're connected to the VZW network. There's a 5 GB monthly limit if you tether and we're "technically" not supposed to be using the network for tethering without paying VZW.

5. tproctor

tproctor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the answers!! Only time I'd use it is if we were traveling. It give my son something to do.