• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering Questions

Tethering uses your phones cellular connection to provide an internet connection to your computer, via USB or Bluetooth.

I am using PDAnet and it's great, the only downside is that you need to install the PDAnet application to whatever computer you are using but one PDAnet license is good for as many computers as you want.

Upvote 0
Can someone explain this tethering thing to me? I've read through a ton of threads, but am still having a hard time grasping exactly what this is for. I know there are several apps (PDANet, Easytether), but what exactly is tethering used for? Thanks in advance.

It is for connecting to the internet via your phone's 3g internet connection. Use it if you want to surf the net on your laptop but there is no wifi available.

Upvote 0
Can someone explain this tethering thing to me? I've read through a ton of threads, but am still having a hard time grasping exactly what this is for. I know there are several apps (PDANet, Easytether), but what exactly is tethering used for? Thanks in advance.

I just installed EasyTether. Tried it out and it worked great. I travel a lot and most of the time, I can do 99% of what I need to do on my phone, but sometimes I need to use my netbook, such as writing a long email or submitting some documents. If there isn't a free wi-fi network nearby, or even one I have to pay for, I can just hook up my phone and use that to connect my netbook to the internet.

Remember that this should be used as a short-term solution and don't be downloading tons of movies while you're connected to the VZW network. There's a 5 GB monthly limit if you tether and we're "technically" not supposed to be using the network for tethering without paying VZW.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones