Tethering QuestionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Droidboy850

Droidboy850 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just installed Pda Net and then paid the $19 to get the full version since it worked so great. My question to you guys though is when it is hooked up to my computer and I'm tethering from my incredible how much data am I really transferring? I know it tells me but I'm not sure what is a lot.

At what point would VZW start raising red flags on my account? I won't be using it as my primary source of internet but when I go out to places that don't have it where i have 3G coverage it would be a great thing to have. I just don't want to get screwed for it and have to fork over whatever the fee is... is there a limit to my $29.99 data plan?

Advertisement
  2. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

There is no limit and no one knows for sure where they would start paying attention to your account.

With that said, I would say 3gb or so a month would be a average amount. Really heavy users may hit more than that using just their phones, but as long as you're not consistently doing that I wouldn't worry.

Droidboy850 likes this.
  3. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 Well-Known Member

Droidboy850 likes this.
  4. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

There is no limit on data. Ive been tethering my previous phone (Droid Eris) for 4 months and have used between 6-8gbs or data per month. There is no limit. Enjoy.

Droidboy850 likes this.
  5. Droidboy850

Are you tethering just off of your data plan or off of an actual broadband plan?

6. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

The standard data plan. You dont need the mobile broadband connect paln.

7. CheezWiz

CheezWiz Well-Known Member

People who abuse the "unlimited" plans will get throttled or banned. It does happen, but is rare. Just do not be sharing torrents and using P2P on it and you will be fine.. Streaming HD from NetFlix would get you up there quick too..

Jaguox likes this.
  8. CheezWiz

This is correct, you do not *need* the BC service to tether. Are you required to have it? Yes you are. According to the TOS for Unlimited Email & Internet:

"Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
    These WirelessEmail plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile BroadbandConnect."

As for the *Unlimited* part:
    "The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale. We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network. We may monitor your compliance, or the compliance of other subscribers, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law."

This is all found here:
    Terms & Conditions

So do we all here pay for BC so we can tether? Well *sure we do*, otherwise we are breaking our TOS. Can VZW tell if I am tethering without BC? Sure they can, if you make enough noise for them to be watching you.. Will they? They certainly have in the past. Some people get by sucking down 10+ Gigs/month while others get caught at 6GB... It is all a gamble and depends on how well you control your net habits...

PS. Most WinMo boards prohibit discussing this topic for fear that their carrier advertisers will pull funds...

9. Droidboy850

10. CheezWiz

Please keep us updated on how PDA Net is working for you..

11. Droidboy850

It's been working great. I have it installed on my Macbook. No issues so far and the speeds are surprisingly really fast.

12. wonderbread

wonderbread Well-Known Member

so, does mobile broadband connection have a monthly fee or is it a one time $20 charge. i've heard both cases

13. mozetti

mozetti Well-Known Member

It's $30/month.