• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering..resolved?

Ok I tried doing a search to see if anyone else had this issue but I couldn't come up with anything...

Sooo I have installed PdaNet on my computer, and followed instructions EXACTLY as listed... I do not have HTC Sync installed since I don't use it, but the Android Driver is installed... I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PdaNet, but still get the same error: "Fail to connect. Please check your phone and make sure PdaNet (USB Tether) has been turned on." I followed exactly what it said to do, and USB Debugging is checked. I'm not sure what else to try. Any ideas? I have Windows XP, and am using my Droid Eris.

Upvote 0
What version of sync are you using? ...You'll need to download and install version 2.0.18 here...

Thanks hookem, that worked! Just finished setting it up and it works fine now on my computer. (I have a piece of junk laptop that will need replacing sometime this year lol so things sometimes don't work right away. I have Windows XP, and I've had this laptop since 2006).

Anyway thanks again. And Smacky thanks for the other option. If I don't like PdaNet I will try that one too.
***Edit: Soo after all that, I decided to just go with Easy Tether for now LOL, but left PdaNet installed on my computer just in case I change my mind :p So far Easy Tether is working great.***

Upvote 0
Ok I tried doing a search to see if anyone else had this issue but I couldn't come up with anything...

Sooo I have installed PdaNet on my computer, and followed instructions EXACTLY as listed... I do not have HTC Sync installed since I don't use it, but the Android Driver is installed... I tried uninstalling and reinstalling PdaNet, but still get the same error: "Fail to connect. Please check your phone and make sure PdaNet (USB Tether) has been turned on." I followed exactly what it said to do, and USB Debugging is checked. I'm not sure what else to try. Any ideas? I have Windows XP, and am using my Droid Eris.

I do not have HTC Sync installed on my PC and it works great for me.
Plus I have the same phone as you.
SO I don't think htc sync is the problem.

Upvote 0
A quick question, does tethering use minutes during the day like old cdma phones used to with tethering? I used to have that on my vx9800 and I would have to wait til night time to fire up my tether cause of minutes, although I never had a data plan with that.

If you tether your phone using either Easy Tether or PDAnet, you are using your unlimited data package (3g), not minutes.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones