Tethering the Hero

Last Updated:

1. jb4kats

jb4kats Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know there are other threads on this but what I need to ask isn't really explained or it is npot exactly what I am looking for so here goes anyway.........
    i just got the Sprint Overdrive 3g/4g but now I am thinking on returning it as I was talking to Advanced Support about the 5 gig limit as 4g is not yet available in my area and he made a comment about there are ways of getting around using your phone as a modem as Sprint is now fazing out their tethering options but he made a comment that they really don't have any way of monitoring your phone to see if you are tethering except for maybe using an humongous amount of data and so I already knew about pdanet as I just tried it out on my hero and it just picked it right up, but what I want to know if this is true. i can't see paying for the overdrive when I would only be using pdanet on occasion when I travel but I can't afford to pay for cable and the overdrive so just need to know if anyone has actually gotten nailed using pdanet. I just don't want to get caught and I know there are alot of people out there using pdanet and now I am seeing some using easytether so are either one of these safe to use without getting charged?

OBTW, I have the HTC Hero and it is not rooted.
    Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

hi,

you will be just fine.. they dont care unless you do over 10gig... even then.. there are individuals that do over 40gigs a month.. and no issues.

If you do decide to root...
    you can use wireless tethering... it is great!!!
    and you can connect 5 or more devices if u want.
    Totally free!!!

3. jb4kats

I don't know how to root, I would probably screw it up, but you are saying 10gig? are you serious? I have been so paranoid about using pdanet and now I am so mad that I even bought this overdrive and the people at Sprint hate to see me even walk in the door as I have return and exchanged so many times, but can you tell me what the speed difference is using your phone as a modem?
    So how do I root?

4. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Speed wise... it should be the same!...
    Wifi.. just like the overdrive...
    but.. you can not do both.... talk on phone and internet access at the same time! If a call comes in, the phone will disconnect internet and notify you have an incoming call. After you hangup.. it will restart the wifi router.

rooting.. it is so easy...do a quick search.. there is a Fresh kitchen that has a guide
    that shows how to do it in very very simple.
    If you have a little knowledge.. of loading software. You can do it!

JUST do a lot of reading first! Confirm it is the correct guide for your HERO.. there are several versions / from different service Providers.

Then if you feel comfortable.. after rooting...
    read on custom ROMs...
    You can get a lot of benefits.
    Some ROMS have Wifi Routing built into the loading.
    More speed...
    More options...

You will be more in love with your HERO!:D

Then if you feel really adventurous... look at the ROMS for android 2.1!!! WOW :eek:

5. jb4kats

Well, I may look into it..... I really just need to have internet access for laptop while on the road, tho' my access is not critical, I just like to have it and even though I wouldn't mind paying for access I just can't see paying more for mobile broadband over cable and be limited on top of that. I will take this overdrive back and wait for 4g to become available and do more research about the rooting and see if I have enough confidence to do it! And thanks for your help!