Tethering the HTC Evo 4g without Root (Plus: USB tether, Static IP)Support

Last Updated:

1. junkdna

junkdna Member This Topic's Starter

So, setting up the Mobile hostpot is fairly straightforward, I don't think I need to discuss that.

Prior to Monday's update, I could not get USB Internet Sharing working under any conditions. After Monday's Update I got it working pretty easily.

I also had the need for a Static IP on my Evo and discovered a HUGE shortcoming with Sprint's Static IP offering on the Evo.

1) To use USB Internet Sharing, you must Disable the Hotspot - You cannot use both at the same time. The Internet Sharing option will be greyed out when you plug your phone into USB if the Hotspot is enabled, and Internet Sharing will stop once you enable the Hotspot. Not a big deal, just FYI if you can't get USB mode working.

2) If you request a Static IP from Sprint, be prepared to spend 15 minutes on the phone and get redirected to 3 different support groups - since most of their reps don't know what a Static IP is. And yes, it's $3/month more.

3) The Static IP DOES NOT WORK WITH THE WIFI HOTSPOT OR USB INTERNET SHARING! Your IP immediately becomes Dynamic the second you any built-in tethering features are activated - either the Mobile Hotspot or the USB Internet Sharing. This is a HUGE downfall of the Static IP feature for those of us who need it.

4) HOWEVER, I found a way around the Static IP restriction - Just use PDANet. You won't be able to tether to multiple computers, but you will keep your Static IP on whatever computer you have connected to the phone via USB or Bluetooth. You can then broadcast a ad-hoc wifi network from your laptop to get more computers online.

The hotspot is SOOO incredibly valuable to me as a programmer I just love it. Even if I don't use it, which I barely have, knowing I have that option when I leave town is invaluable. It's also going to be sweet for my upcoming road trip.

I hope this clarifies some info for someone, I couldn't find any of this info on Google so I hope this helps others.

Now lets hope Sprint gets some serious 4G coverage setup in NorCal! I'm waiting Sprint, come on! I'm between SF Bay Area and Sacramento so just fill the whole place with 4G and i'll be happy!

Advertisement
    NeoteriX likes this.
  2. junkdna

junkdna Member This Topic's Starter

One more really funny think I remembered:

You can add and remove the Mobile Hotspot option through the web panel. WhenI called customer service about the Static IP, I decided to just ask if I could turn the Hotspot only only for a few days at a time, and she said that I could do it, but I would end up paying more, because of some weird reason I didn't understand, it would charge you the pro-rated fee and it would charge you $30 for the next month. Anyone actually try this yet? Paying for the hotspot is still worth it to me, when I need it it's just invaluable, I just don't use it that often.