Tethering via 3G/4G..

1. Charlesto2012

Charlesto2012 Member

Epic 4G with firmware 2.3.6 Gingerbread FC09. i simply plugged a usb cable to phone, it asked if i wanted to charge etc and I chose tethering. My laptop updated itself, Win7, and it is working. Is there anything I need to know once I use 3G/4G? I am currently using the phone as WiFi only as the phone doesnt work in my home. So, it is not on my Sprint bill anymore. But, when I move it will go back on the spring unlimited plan, and will have 3/4G. Will tethering work as it is right now?
    The phone is getting its data from my rooms wifi, then the usb cable is tethered to my laptop.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Zeinzu

Zeinzu Well-Known Member

You can't tether without service. It wouldn't make sense to tether your phone while it's connected to WiFi unless your laptop doesn't have a built in wireless card and you're using the phone to act as one via usb.
  3. Charlesto2012

Charlesto2012 Member

I guess I need to be clear. When I put the phone back in service with Sprint, will I be able to tether a laptop with my phone utlizing 3/4G. The laptop will be out of wifi due to being on the road, out in town etc where my home Wifi wont be available.
  4. Zeinzu

Zeinzu Well-Known Member

Yes, if you pay for the tethering add-on or root your device and use a third party tethering application.
  5. Charlesto2012

Charlesto2012 Member

So the little test i just did doesnt say whether or not it will work when I go back on the network? I guess I need to go to sprint and ask about tethering etc. just dont want to get it working, then have a huge bill. Sprint is really good at surprises..