Tethering with rooted milestone

Last Updated:

1. Scoobydumb

Scoobydumb Member This Topic's Starter

I have a rooted 2.1 milestone on telus, i have setup barnacle tethering and it works great. My question is about the tether itself. I am on telus and am on a unlimited data plan (very rare in Canada) and am not allowed to tether, but when i was on an iPhone I did quite a bit using mywi and it was never picked up. So is android tethering "hidden" from my carrier? I don't use it a lot but it is a nice option to have. I know tether berry used to use Certain API settings to hide that the data was actually being used by a blackberry.
    Is there any settings i can change now that I am rooted to do something similar?
    Really enjoying android so far a week into it. Seems like a great community here as well (first post but I've been here quite a bit) thanks

Advertisement
  2. JohnM109R

JohnM109R Active Member

I have Telus running under fido and the Tethering has just been allowed...and now its free for us... but before then they could tell if I was Tethering... so becarful...

3. Scoobydumb

Good to know, I would be charged $8 mb so definetly don't want that, that is the one thing I do miss about my jail broken iPhone, but other than that i actually prefer android.
    Which program were you using for tethering? Would love to hear from others who have been successful (or not) with hiding tethering from their carriers.

4. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

Pdanet or Easy Tether. They are not able to tell if you are tethering. Data is data the only way they would be able to tell is if the wifi tether app was built into the operating system like the palm pre plus or Htc Evo 4g

5. Scoobydumb

Do you know if those two treat data differently than barnacle does? Barnacle is showing up as data with no charges so far using my iPad. I don't use it a lot but it is nice to have when you have some time to kill. I'm new to android and still trying to learn the basics, tether berry for blackberry used different apn settings to hide it, mywi for iPhone hid it and windows mobile used Internet connection sharing to hide it.
    I will continue to try it for a few mb a day and monitor my data usage on the website, and I will post back. Hopefully others can chime in on there experiences as well.