• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering without computer software

I'm not sure how or why, but when I use the native USB tethering option in the wireless network settings, it works great for me and it doesn't take me to the Verizon page to pay for the tethering service (and I' not paying for it). So have you tried this? I'm rooted though and am running Chevys SS 4.8 right now. I haven't tried it on 4.8 yet, but I used it on 4.7 a few times with my office computer when we had network outages. All you need installed on the PC are the drivers for the phone, which Vista and Win 7 have found and installed automatically whenever I plug in my phone for the first time.

Upvote 0
The Droid can not tether natively, meaning it can't be tethered without an app. This is a good thing because you don't pay VZW a fee every month to tether (because they can't check) and you just pay what you pay for the app.

If you are rooted, you don't pay anything. I use Wireless Tether (that's the name of the app) that you download from the Market and install it and just tap the screen once and it's a hotspot.

If you don't want to root, I think the only way is those paid apps (assuming you want to enter secure sites because the free ones don't let you) like EasyTether and PDANet.

Upvote 0
  • no verizon fee
  • root okay
  • no special software
  • just connect via windows networking to wifi or bluetooth or USB
  • infrasrtucture, not ad-hoc
  • transparent, allows VPN
  • kind to battery
Anything like that?
Barnacle is ad-hoc, and won't work with my company windows config.

Wow - anything else?!

Other than the native tethering which I believe only needs the Motorola driver to set up a windows based connection, you are pretty much outta luck if ad hoc is an issue and you can't install PDAnet on the PC side.

Not sure how the Verizon charges would work there though.

I think ad hoc is actually a hardware limitation of the phone - see the barnacle site for explanation.

Battery life will be an issue no matter what.

VPN works fine for me through PDAnet or Barnacle.

Upvote 0
Well first off sometimes your work doesn't want you to have access to the internet if these computers have sensitive information on them. Just whatever you do, don't lose your job over something like getting your work computer onto the internet. But anyways, there are two ways (that I know of) that the Droid can tether: ad-hoc, or USB tether. The Droid does not have the necessary hardware to create an infrastructure access point. If it has to be infrastructure you're out of luck. However, you might be able to use USB tether. I've never personally tried USB tether so no idea how you would set that up, or if you need to install anything to the computer. Also, I think you would have to be rooted.

Upvote 0
The unrooted 2.2 tethering option didn't work for me. Brought me to that stupid Verizon page trying to make me pay for the service. Now that I rooted and installed CyanogenMod 6, there's a tethering option built right in and it works great! Glad I didnt' end up paying the fee for PDANet or Easy Tether Pro!

Hey I have a question . How did you get to root your phone on the 2.2 update ? I have been trying to do this for a while so I can wifi tether via game system . OH FYI the fee for pdanet is only a 15 fee and is worth if you live out in Yellowstone ha .

Upvote 0
Well first off sometimes your work doesn't want you to have access to the internet if these computers have sensitive information on them. Just whatever you do, don't lose your job over something like getting your work computer onto the internet. But anyways, there are two ways (that I know of) that the Droid can tether: ad-hoc, or USB tether. The Droid does not have the necessary hardware to create an infrastructure access point. If it has to be infrastructure you're out of luck. However, you might be able to use USB tether. I've never personally tried USB tether so no idea how you would set that up, or if you need to install anything to the computer. Also, I think you would have to be rooted.
These computers are meant to be disassembled and messed with. These Lab computers contain nothing of value.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones