• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
for those people asking about wireless tethering, it does not work unless your device is rooted. at least that is what i have been told and also, all apps i have seen that support wireless tethering have been for root users only.

PdaNet has said on their website that you do NOT have to be rooted. I did get an email from them saying that you have to be on 2.0 or higher, and I told them I was on 2.1. They know that I have an Eris so they made the assumption that I was still on 1.5. I replied to them about me putting 2.1 on it and am just waiting for their response.

Upvote 0
Easy Tether Lite no longer works for me at all. Won't recognize the phone when I plug it in. Someone told me this when I suggested this app to them a week or so ago and now I too have that problem.

There was an update for ETL today and when I installed it, it put ETL into a force close loop, despite me not starting it ever.

So I removed it and I'll learn to live without tether. Which isn't hard, except for when you're at the airport. Then I'll just use my data on my phone.

Upvote 0
For anyone tethering: They know you're tethering because of a setting in your PST that sees data go through dun.vzw3g.com, rather than vzw3g.com. They know you're tethering. Will they do anything about it? Probably not. But, I don't take any chances. Here's what you do:

Dial ##778.
Edit Mode.
000000 (six zeroes).
M.IP Default Profile.
DUN NAI.
Change it from YOURNUMBER@dun.vzw3g.com
to YOURNUMBER@vzw3g.com -- In other words, you're deleting the text "dun."
OK.
Menu >
Commit Modifications.

Your phone will reboot. From now on (potentially until/if you ever flash another PB00IMG.zip that you'd normally have to *228 for), you will channel all your tethering through vzw3g.com instead of dun.vzw3g.com.

As far as Verizon is watching, you're moving all that data right into your phone, and not tethering.

Any better insight on this, to avoid being watched for tethering?

Upvote 0
when i was on 1.5 i used PdaNet, and now on 2.1 i use it as well. have had no issues there.

as for getting caught, i only use it when i'm traveling (e.g. in airports, hotels that charge for internet access, etc) so it's not often. but in the several months i've had this phone i've probably used PdaNet for maybe 10-12 hours or so in all, and have seen nothing from verizon. knock on wood.

Upvote 0
Actually, on Verizon, if you tether with your cellphone it's $49.99. $59.99 is with a card.

Verizon's new phones, like the Droid X, all will come with the ability to wifi tether and connect up to 5 devices. The charge for this is $20 a month... on top of the $30 we're already paying.
Verizon is starting to advertise this Wifi tethering (hotspot) service.

The Droid X is Motorola's answer to the HTC EVO 4G: It's a high-end, slate-like smartphone focused on multimedia creation and consumption. It's a plus-sized device with a 4.3-inch display, Wi-Fi hotspot functionality, and 720p video recording with HDMI-out. The similarities are undeniable

As far as to if it's illegal to do it, i feel i should be able to do whatever I want with the internet service i pay for. Just like my home internet service.
If i choose to connect a wireless router and leave it open for anyone within range to connect and get free internet, i can. Nothing anyone can do about it.
I should have the same liberty with my phone's internet that I'm paying a lot of money for.

I really dont know if there's something in my contract that says I cannot do this... I hope there isn't.
I'm hoping Verizon is charging $20 for providing the ability to tether your device... which i dont need from them since I'm rooted ;)

Upvote 0
The fact is, if you tether and do not pay for the appropriate data plan, you are stealing from Verizon. If you feel that is OK, go to it. But if you are discovered and billed for it, please don't post here complaining about it.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

I'm actually interested to hear how its stealing. I'm using one line for mobile internet, and I pay to use that mobile internet bandwidth every month. Its not like I magically get more bandwidth because I tether. I don't have any moral obligations against it as long as you use it for legitimate purposes.

However, that being said, it is against the TOS, so you are right in the sense that if you get caught, you can't really complain about it, since you DID violate their contract.

Upvote 0
The fact is, if you tether and do not pay for the appropriate data plan, you are stealing from Verizon. If you feel that is OK, go to it. But if you a

I'm actually interested to hear how its stealing. I'm using one line for mobile internet, and I pay to use that mobile internet bandwidth every month. Its not like I magically get more bandwidth because I tether. I don't have any moral obligations against it as long as you use it for legitimate purposes.

However, that being said, it is against the TOS, so you are right in the sense that if you get caught, you can't really complain about it, since you DID violate their contract.

Typically, the amount of bandwidth used by a smartphone is going to be much less than on a computer. At least that is what the business model assumes. Thus the separate charge for tethering.

What makes it stealing is that there are specific TOS around tethering. When you act contrary to the TOS you are getting something you didn't pay for...which is the definition of stealing.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
For anyone tethering: They know you're tethering because of a setting in your PST that sees data go through dun.vzw3g.com, rather than vzw3g.com. They know you're tethering. Will they do anything about it? Probably not. But, I don't take any chances. Here's what you do:

Dial ##778.
Edit Mode.
000000 (six zeroes).
M.IP Default Profile.
DUN NAI.
Change it from YOURNUMBER@dun.vzw3g.com
to YOURNUMBER@vzw3g.com -- In other words, you're deleting the text "dun."
OK.
Menu >
Commit Modifications.

Your phone will reboot. From now on (potentially until/if you ever flash another PB00IMG.zip that you'd normally have to *228 for), you will channel all your tethering through vzw3g.com instead of dun.vzw3g.com.

As far as Verizon is watching, you're moving all that data right into your phone, and not tethering.

Anyone done this, does it work?
TIA!

Upvote 0
On my bill, the data plan section reads "unlimited." Call me a literalist, but when I see unlimited, it means unlimited. If Verizon wants to limit me to 5GB per month, then they need to put in writing on the contract signed by me "5GB per month limit." and then state whatever charge they feel is appropriate beyond that limit. But I need to know about it going in.

As far as violating TOS, I see nothing in my contract about tethering violating the TOS.

Upvote 0
On my bill, the data plan section reads "unlimited." Call me a literalist, but when I see unlimited, it means unlimited. If Verizon wants to limit me to 5GB per month, then they need to put in writing on the contract signed by me "5GB per month limit." and then state whatever charge they feel is appropriate beyond that limit. But I need to know about it going in.

As far as violating TOS, I see nothing in my contract about tethering violating the TOS.

The 5Gb cap only applies if you have a tethering plan with Verizon. It does violate the data TOS, but they have to catch you doing it. Most of the time they will simply shut off your 3G if you are using an excessive amount of data (has happened to me and I wasn't even tethering).

Sorry for the noobasaurus question.....if I get the pay version of PDAnet...already downloaded the free version....on my Eris....I can move it over to another phone.....like a Droid X if I upgrade? And is there any difference between PDAnet and easy tether?

Apps you have purchased are tied to your google checkout account (typically your gmail account) and will move with you from phone to phone as long as you use the same gmail account on each one. So a paid app on your Eris will be available on your next phone as well, as long as your next phone supports the app.

Ok, partially confused. I have a non-rooted EVO. What can I do to allow wifi to a device? What if it's an iPad?

If you are looking to use wifi tether with the Evo, I believe you have to root the phone. Some of the newer phones (Galaxy S) have wifi tether as a built in feature, but I do not believe that the Evo offers this. It is a feature that is built into many of the custom ROMs for phones now.

Upvote 0
The 5Gb cap only applies if you have a tethering plan with Verizon. It does violate the data TOS, but they have to catch you doing it. Most of the time they will simply shut off your 3G if you are using an excessive amount of data (has happened to me and I wasn't even tethering).

Apps you have purchased are tied to your google checkout account (typically your gmail account) and will move with you from phone to phone as long as you use the same gmail account on each one. So a paid app on your Eris will be available on your next phone as well, as long as your next phone supports the app.

If you are looking to use wifi tether with the Evo, I believe you have to root the phone. Some of the newer phones (Galaxy S) have wifi tether as a built in feature, but I do not believe that the Evo offers this. It is a feature that is built into many of the custom ROMs for phones now.
lol threadjack lol
i love your avatar :)

Upvote 0
Hi, I have a Droid Eris, Android 2.1 - I installed Proxoid (free) - then I installed the Android SDK from Google per the instructions. I run proxoid on the Eris and start the appropriate app on my netbook - I just want to be able to check gmail while at work occasionally from the netbook. When I plug in the usb cable the Eris asks if the usb connection should be for charge only, mounting the data card, or sync with a pc (if I select this it keeps trying to find the sync software on the pc). No matter what I select - I can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone gotten proxoid to work on the Eris with 2.1? What do you select when connecting the usb cable?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones