• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tethering?

jsphmuckey

Dec 26, 2010
Port Aransas, TX
Recently got this phone, works well & she ain't bad on the eyes either! ;) Rooted successfully with framaroot app as well.

Question is! Does anyone have an idea how to tether wirelessly? I've tried Wifi tether for root users but the phone shuts it down after a few seconds etc Tried a million different apps! Can't get her to work with me haha

I heard ZTE phones have this problem allegedly so whatever FRACKERS ;)

If no wireless option, then is there a reliable usb tether app out there?

Hey, thanks for any help in advance!

I was going to post and ask the same thing. Not sure why tethering is not working. I've only tried WiFi Tether and Barnacle and neither works for me. They both show that they are tethering, but they don't broadcast a SSID and I tried to manually connect by typing in the SSID and still couldn't connect.

Upvote 0
I have an older version of wifi tether for root and it installs fine and broadcast ssid. Said it was connected but was very slow. I left it alone after that, I'm sure the settings can be tweaked and it should work fine. It probably would be a good idea NOT to let it update. I'll upload a copy to my dropbox and you can try that.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k5so7fahc8eohv/WiFiTether.apk

Reactions: xman95
Upvote 0
I have an older version of wifi tether for root and it installs fine and broadcast ssid. Said it was connected but was very slow. I left it alone after that, I'm sure the settings can be tweaked and it should work fine. It probably would be a good idea NOT to let it update. I'll upload a copy to my dropbox and you can try that.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0k5so7fahc8eohv/WiFiTether.apk

I've tried your copy and it still doesn't work for me. Not sure what's up. I've tried to play with the settings and rebooting a few times as well and it still doesn't broadcast the SSID.

Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for the heads up! Just purchased that app & got it working within a few minutes :) Watched a bunch of YouTube! Worked like a charm, thanks again for sharing.

You dont have to buy anything, or be chained to a usb, change device profile to generic ics/jb (wlan0) under wifi settings and set a wifi encryption wpa/wpa2. I use wifi tether TrevE mod. But i would figure itd work with any root wifi app with alittle tweaking ;) oh and enable access control and dont forget to allow your connecting device

Upvote 0
You dont have to buy anything, or be chained to a usb, change device profile to generic ics/jb (wlan0) under wifi settings and set a wifi encryption wpa/wpa2. I use wifi tether TrevE mod. But i would figure itd work with any root wifi app with alittle tweaking ;) oh and enable access control and dont forget to allow your connecting device

Thanks!!!
I finally got it to work (SSID is broadcasting now) using your settings above.

EDIT:
although I can connect devices. I get a error message on the phone:
"loading WiFi driver..."
failed

So still no actual tethering.

EDIT:
Rebooted went back into access control and enabled client Mac address

Now up up and running!!!!! :)

Upvote 0
With out root guide (hardwire method)

1.install pda net on android phone
2.install pda net on windows pc
3.install browser extension user agent switcher on google chrome
4.click on extension and select android
5.what this does is it tricks the browser to accept and reciever internet from the phone

with root guide
1.instal wifi tether
2.grant super user permissions to the app
3.it will host a brodband signal
4.install browser extension user agent switcher on google chrome
5.click on extension and select android
6.what this does is it tricks the browser to accept and reciever internet from the phone

i hope this works for you message me if any problems this is

100% woking

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones